May 26, 2023Review Recipe
Rocky Road Fudge
Table of Contents
This loaded rocky road fudge is a family favorite that’s straight from my grandma’s recipe box. It features creamy, smooth chocolate that’s packed with salty peanuts and sweet marshmallows.
Rocky Road Fudge Ingredients
- 3 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of salted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of miniature marshmallows
Substitutions And Additions
NUTS: Use almonds, walnuts, or pecans instead of peanuts in your homemade fudge.
CHOCOLATE: Make this marshmallow fudge with dark chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate chips.
PEANUTS: You can use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe. If you use unsalted, add a small pinch of salt to your mixture.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Add white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips either in place of or as part of the 3 cups of chocolate chips in this recipe.
How To Make This Rocky Road Fudge Recipe
STEP ONE: In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Over medium heat, melt the chocolate chip mixture, stirring constantly until the chips are melted.
STEP TWO: Remove melted chocolate from the heat and stir in the peanuts and vanilla.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can skip the stovetop and make this in a large, microwave-safe bowl as well if you’d like.
STEP THREE: Place the mini marshmallows in a large bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture over the marshmallows and mix well.
If you don’t want some of the marshmallows to melt, then wait just a few minutes to let the chocolate cool before pouring it over the marshmallows.
STEP FOUR: Line a 9×13 dish with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Spread your fudge mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the fudge with additional peanuts and marshmallows.
You could use an 8×8 square baking pan as well for thicker fudge.
STEP FIVE: Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill until firm; 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
How To Serve
Whip up this easy rocky road fudge recipe and put it in a festive tin or a food-safe box tied with a pretty ribbon — this fudge is perfect for gifting to friends and family during the holiday season. Our mint chocolate fudge and gingerbread fudge are also great gifts.
If you’re looking for other fudge recipes, make sure you check out our Reese’s peanut butter fudge and peanut butter fudge.
MORE FUDGE RECIPES
Storing The Best Rocky Road Recipe
ON THE COUNTERTOP: Keep your creamy chocolate fudge in an airtight container and store it for up to a week at room temperature. Layer wax paper in between the squares of fudge to keep them from sticking to each other.
IN THE FRIDGE: Keep it in an airtight container for up to three weeks in the fridge.
IN THE FREEZER: Slice your batch of fudge into squares and freeze for up to one month in a freezer-safe container.
This rich chocolate rocky road fudge is made with simple ingredients. It makes the perfect holiday gift or a simple treat for snacking whenever you have a chocolate craving.
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy recipe can be frozen in an airtight container for up to one month.
To easily slice the fudge, dip a large sharp flat knife in boiling water, dry it completely, and cut one long slice. The heat will help the blade to glide through.
This simple recipe can be stored at either room temperature or in the fridge.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Brittle
- Christmas Crunch
- Cracker Toffee
- Peppermint Bark
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- Fruity Pebbles Treat
- Rolo Fudge
- Marshmallow Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
Rocky Road Fudge
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup salted peanuts, plus a few extra for the top
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups mini marshmallows, plus a few extra for the top
- Line a 9×13 dish with foil. Spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Over medium heat melt the chip mixture stirring constantly until the chips are melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanuts and vanilla.
- Place the marshmallows in a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the marshmallows and mix well. If you don’t want some of the marshmallows to melt and swirl then wait just a few minutes to let the chocolate cool before pouring over the marshmallows.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the top with additional peanuts and marshmallows.
- Place in refrigerator to chill until firm, 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- You could use an 8×8 square baking pan as well for thicker fudge.
- You can skip the stovetop and melt the chocolate in a large, microwave-safe bowl as well if you’d like.
- If you don’t want some of the marshmallows to melt, then wait just a few minutes to let the chocolate cool before pouring it over the marshmallows.
Toni Thomason says
How delicious! This treat is super yummy!
At what point do you add vanilla ?
Layne Kangas says
I’m sorry for missing that in the instructions! You add it when you add the peanuts. Enjoy! 🙂
Such a yummy classic, my grandma always made this!
Can I use pecans or walnuts instead of peanuts?
Layne Kangas says
Hi, Debi – yes, you could. Enjoy!
Rich and delicious, and so easy to make! This fudge was a favorite in my sampler gift boxes. I made 8 flavors of fudge in the week before Christmas, and this one is already getting repeated.
This is the best recipe ever. Fast, easy and delicious! Make it for every holiday, or a dish to pass! Thank you for the best recipes. People go crazy for this fudge!!
Deborah Yokoi says
My kids love this.
Natalie J Gaba says
A good fudge recipe