November 28, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Grinch Hershey Kiss Cookies Ingredients
- Substitutions And Additions For Grinch Treats
- How To Make The Grinch Cookies
- How To Serve Grinch Cookies
- Storage For This Grinch Cookies Recipe With Hershey Kisses
- Why We Love This Recipe
- Grinch Kiss Cookies FAQs
- More Christmas Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- Even More Recipes You’ll Love
All the little Whos down in Whoville are going to love these Grinch cookies. Soft, chewy sugar cookies stuffed with a Hershey’s kiss on the inside and a delightful little heart on top will be sure to bring some Christmas-time cheer your way.
Grinch Hershey Kiss Cookies Ingredients
These Grinch cookies are a delightful holiday treat with a sweet and slightly buttery sugar cookie base.
Nestled in the center of each cookie is a Hershey’s Kiss for a chocolatey surprise, and heart-shaped candy sprinkles add a touch of whimsy to each bite.
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon of green gel food coloring
- 1 (17.5-ounce) bag of sugar cookie mix
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 18 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- 18 large heart candy sprinkles
Substitutions And Additions For Grinch Treats
HEART SPRINKLES: If you can not find the heart-shaped sprinkles for these delicious cookies, the Betty Crocker cinnamon imperials sprinkles are a great alternative.
These can also be found in the baking aisle of most major grocery stores. If you are really stuck, you could also use a red M&M on top.
SUGAR COOKIE MIX: While the sugar cookie mix is convenient and delivers great results, you can personalize your cookies even more by making your cookie dough from scratch.
Try your favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe and incorporate the green food coloring as specified in this recipe.
HERSHEY’S KISSES: While Hershey’s Kisses are a classic choice for these cookies, you can experiment with different types of chocolates or candies to fill the center.
I’ve used peanut butter cups before and really enjoyed the results.
FOOD COLORING: The addition of vibrant green gel food coloring gives these Christmas cookies their iconic Grinch-like appearance.
When choosing your green food coloring, make sure that it is a gel one. The liquid food coloring will alter the texture and consistency of your dough too much.
I used the Betty Crocker brand, which comes as a four pack of primary colors and can be found in most baking aisles at the grocery store.
You can also use the Wilton brand or Americolor. These can be found at local big box crafters stores or online as well. They will also offer more options of green color for you to choose from for your cookies.
Natural Food Coloring For The Grinch Cookies
If you would like to replace the green gel food coloring with a natural alternative, you could use matcha, spinach, or spirulina powder to color your Grinch cookies.
How To Make The Grinch Cookies
Let’s have a look at how to make these easy, festive treats with our step-by-step instructions below.
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a mini muffin pan with baker’s spray or line with paper liners, and set aside.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, whisk together with a fork the egg and green gel food coloring until the food coloring is thoroughly combined with the beaten egg.
Mixing the food coloring with the egg helps distribute the green gel food coloring much easier and more evenly into the dough.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, with a hand mixer on low speed, combine the sugar cookie mix, flour, butter, and egg mixture for two to three minutes or until thoroughly combined.
Your dough will be very thick.
STEP FOUR: Scoop out a ball of dough using a 1½ tablespoon (1½-inch) cookie scoop.
Flatten it into a 3-inch disc in your hand.
Place a Hershey’s Kiss into the center and carefully pull the sides up to cover the candy and shape it into a ball.
Make sure to keep your Hershey’s kiss candy upright when placed into the mini muffin tin to be baked.
STEP FIVE: Place the cookie dough balls into the muffin tin, making sure that the Hershey’s Kiss is still in the upright position.
Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not let your dough start to get brown. You just want to make sure the center is not raw.
STEP SIX: When your Grinch heart cookies come out of the oven, place one red heart sprinkle, offset to the right from the center, onto your cookie cup.
Let them cool in the mini muffin tin for at least ten minutes before removing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
How To Serve Grinch Cookies
This holiday cookie recipe would be a great treat to include in a cookie exchange and would make a fun yearly tradition to include as part of your Christmas baking.
You could also plan a Grinch movie night and serve these green cookies along with our easy Grinch punch. The whole family will love the festive theme!
We have plenty of favorite recipes for the holidays.
Storage For This Grinch Cookies Recipe With Hershey Kisses
Whether you plan to enjoy them over a few days or freeze some for later, here are the best methods to store your creations:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning your Christmas baking ahead or simply want to save time, you can make the cookie dough in advance.
Prepare the cookie dough following the recipe instructions, and instead of baking, shape it into a log or flatten it into a disc.
Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to two to three days or in the freezer for up to two to three months.
When you’re ready to bake, slice the dough into rounds if refrigerated or let it thaw slightly if frozen before cutting and baking as usual.
ON THE COUNTER: These Grinch stuffed cookies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to four days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can prepare these adorable Grinch Christmas cookies ahead of time and freeze them unbaked.
You want to wait to put the small red heart on them until after baking them. They should be stored in a zip-top, freezer-safe bag in the freezer for up to two months.
You need to let them thaw before baking them.
Why We Love This Recipe
FESTIVE AND WHIMSICAL: These Grinch cookies capture the essence of the beloved holiday character, making them the perfect addition to your festive celebrations.
DELICIOUS FLAVOR COMBINATION: Beyond their charming appearance, these cookies offer a delightful taste experience. The sugar cookie base is sweet and buttery, while the Hershey’s Kisses add a rich chocolatey surprise.
PERFECT FOR SHARING: Grinch cookies are a fantastic treat to share with family, friends, or coworkers during the holiday season. They make lovely homemade gifts and are sure to put a smile on anyone’s face.
If How the Grinch Stole Christmas is one of your favorite Christmas movies, now you have a delicious Grinchy cookie treat to enjoy at home.
These Grinch cookies are so festive and cheerful and even have the Grinch’s small heart on top. Merry Christmas baking!
Grinch Kiss Cookies FAQs
This easy cookie recipe would be delicious, with any flavor of Hershey’s Kisses hidden on the inside.
Betty Crocker cinnamon imperials, cinnamon hearts, or even red M&M candies would work if you can’t get your hands on heart sprinkles.
To prevent the cookies from spreading excessively, make sure your cookie dough is thoroughly chilled before baking.
Additionally, ensure that your baking sheets are cool when placing the dough on them.
Overcrowding the baking sheet can also lead to spreading, so leave enough space between the cookies.
More Christmas Recipes You’ll Love
The Grinch Cookies
- 18 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- 17.5 ounces sugar cookie mix
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon green gel food coloring,
- 18 large heart candy sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a mini muffin pan with baker’s spray, or line with paper cups, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together, with a fork, the egg and green gel food coloring until the food coloring is thoroughly combined with the beaten egg.
- In a large mixing bowl, with a handheld mixer on low speed, combine the sugar cookie mix, all-purpose flour, unsalted butter and egg mixture for 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly combined. Your dough will be very thick.
- Using a 1½ tablespoon (1½-inch ) cookie scoop, scoop out a ball of dough and flatten it into a 3-inch disc in your hand. Place a Hershey’s Kiss into the center and carefully pull the sides up to cover the candy and shape it into a ball. Make sure to keep your Hershey’s kiss candy upright when placed into the mini muffin tin to be baked.
- Place the dough balls into the muffin tin making sure that the Hershey’s kiss is still in the upright position and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not let your dough start to get brown. You just want to make sure the center is not raw.
- When your Grinch stuffed cookie cups come out of the oven, place 1 heart sprinkle, offset to the right from the center, onto your cookie cup and let them cool in the mini muffin tin for at least 10 minutes before removing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mixing the food coloring with the egg helps distribute the green gel food coloring much easier and more evenly into the dough.
- Make sure to keep your Hershey’s kiss candy upright when placed into the mini muffin tin to be baked.