October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
- How To Make Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Frosting
- How To Serve Mayo Cake
- How To Store Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
- Why We Love This Recipe
- Mayonnaise Cake Recipe FAQs
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
Moist and delicious, this mayonnaise cake is the perfect addition to a dessert table or celebration. With a rich chocolate flavor, this Depression-era cake uses the secret ingredient of mayonnaise in place of oil and eggs for a recipe that has stood the test of time.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe Ingredients
This mayonnaise cake recipe offers an indulgent chocolate cake with a deep cocoa flavor. The mayonnaise adds a subtle tang and creaminess without an overt mayonnaise taste.
The chocolate frosting, made with cocoa powder and powdered sugar, enhances the overall sweetness and chocolate richness, making it a deliciously unique treat.
For The Cake:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of water
For The Chocolate Frosting (optional):
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ cup of milk or more, if needed
Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Substitutions And Additions
COCOA: This recipe works well with any type of cocoa you might have on hand. Dark Dutch cocoa or regular cocoa will both create delicious results.
VANILLA: Omit the cocoa for a vanilla mayonnaise cake, or try adding other ingredients such as bananas, brown sugar, or coffee for a different dessert experience.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Add one cup of chocolate chips to your batter for a tasty addition to this already amazing cake.
MAYONNAISE: Using full-fat mayonnaise produces the best results in this chocolate cake recipe.
Light versions work, but it will change the texture of the cake and may make it chewier.
FROSTING: Top this chocolate mayo cake with your frosting of choice. Chocolate or caramel frosting would both be delicious choices.
You can use your favorite one from scratch or any can of frosting you have on hand.
How To Make Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
Let’s walk through the step-by-step instructions for making the cake batter and frosting for this delicious treat.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You could also use parchment paper to line your cake pans. You can buy pre-cut parchment paper rounds to make lining the round pans easier.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda. Take a whisk and whisk the flour mixture to remove any lumps.
STEP THREE: In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, vanilla, and water, and using a whisk, mix together until smooth.
STEP FOUR: Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Don’t overmix the batter. It may appear slightly lumpy but that is ok.
STEP FIVE: Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
STEP SIX: Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from the oven and cool completely.
It’s important to wait until the cakes are completely cool before icing. The icing will melt if spread on warm cakes.
STEP EIGHT: Spread icing over the first cake, smoothing out to the edges.
STEP NINE: Place the second cake on top, with the top side up.
STEP TEN: Ice the sides and top of the cake with chocolate frosting.
How To Make Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake Frosting
STEP ONE: Place the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted butter.
STEP TWO: Using a mixer, mix until combined and smooth.
STEP THREE: Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk and mix until smooth, beating for two to three minutes.
How To Serve Mayo Cake
A homemade chocolate cake is always a welcome sight on special occasions, and this moist and decadent cake will get rave reviews.
Pair it with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee for a delightful treat that’s perfect any time of day.
How To Store Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
Here are some handy storage tips to make the most of this scrumptious dessert:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’d like to plan ahead, you can prepare the cake in advance.
Bake it as directed in the recipe, and once it has completely cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Store it at room temperature for up to two days before frosting. This allows you to save time while still enjoying a fresh, homemade cake.
ON THE COUNTER: Store leftovers of this cake covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can store the entire cake, unfrosted and wrapped in plastic wrap, in the freezer for up to three months.
Why We Love This Recipe
INCREDIBLE MOISTURE: The mayonnaise in this recipe adds a surprising and delightful level of moisture to the cake. It keeps the cake incredibly soft and moist, ensuring each bite is a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
RICH CHOCOLATE FLAVOR: With a generous amount of cocoa powder, this cake boasts a deep, rich chocolate flavor that chocolate enthusiasts will adore.
VERSATILE AND FOOLPROOF: Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this recipe is approachable and easy to follow. The step-by-step instructions ensure that even novice bakers can achieve fantastic results, making it a go-to dessert option for various occasions.
This chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe is easy to make and consists of simple ingredients, including flour, sugar, and mayo, which combine to create a rich and decadent old-fashioned dessert with a surprising depth of flavor.
Mayonnaise Cake Recipe FAQs
While we haven’t tried it this way, others have had success with using a rectangular pan. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly.
This cake can be kept on the counter at room temperature for up to three days.
Mayonnaise cake draws its name by using mayo instead of eggs and butter or oil in the cake batter. Since mayonnaise consists mostly of eggs and oil, it works great as a substitute for those ingredients typically found in cake recipes.
It became a popular dessert dish during the Great Depression when families were forced to find more economical ways to recreate their favorite foods when they were unable to afford or find more expensive ingredients like eggs, milk, and butter. It continues to be a popular Southern comfort food today as well as a great choice for families looking for a rich dessert on a budget.
Since mayo contains both eggs and oil, you can actually replace both when making a boxed cake mix. It will give you an extra delicious moist cake.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Brownie Cupcakes
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Banana Pudding
- Apple Crisp
- Air Fryer Chocolate Cake
- Dutch Baby
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Coca Cola Cake
- Cherry Dr Pepper Cake
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Soda Cake
- Crockpot Better than Sex Cake
- Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- Crack Cake
- Carrot Cake Roll
- Homemade Dog Birthday Cake
- Rainbow Roll Cake
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup milk (or more, if needed)
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Take a whisk and whisk the dry ingredients to remove any lumps.
- In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, vanilla, and water, and using a whisk, mix together until smooth.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Spread icing over the first cake, smoothing out to the edges.
- Place the second cake on top, with the top side up.
- Ice with chocolate frosting.
For the Frosting (optional)
- Place the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted butter.
- Using a mixer mix until combined and smooth.
- Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk, and mix until smooth, beating for 2-3 minutes.
- You could also use parchment paper to line your cake pans. You can buy pre-cut parchment paper rounds to make lining the round pans easier.
- Don’t overmix the batter. It may appear slightly lumpy but that is ok.
- It’s important to wait until the cakes are completely cool before icing. The icing will melt if spread on warm cakes.