Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
This carrot cake roll is a pretty twist on a traditional carrot cake. Cinnamon spice carrot cake is layered with a luscious cream cheese filling, then rolled up and topped with a light glaze, making a stunning and delicious dessert.
CARROT CAKE ROLL INGREDIENTS
You will need:
FOR THE CARROT CAKE
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots, about 2 to 3 whole carrots
- ½ cup powdered sugar for dusting the cake once baked
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 6 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Butter: Unsalted butter can be used instead of salted. Just add ¼ teaspoon of salt to the filling.
Carrots: Baby carrots can replace the whole carrots in this recipe.
Nuts: If you love nuts on your carrot cake, sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans on top of the finished cake and around it on the serving plate.
Caramel: Add a drizzle of yummy caramel on top before serving.
How to Make this Carrot Cake Roll recipe
STEP ONE: Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium bowl, and set aside.
STEP TWO: With an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the eggs for 5 minutes or until they are a light frothy yellow.
PRO TIP: Don’t skip beating the eggs for the full time as this helps the roll become fluffy.
STEP THREE: Add the sugar, vanilla, and oil to the eggs then beat until well combined.
STEP FOUR: Fold in the flour mixture then the carrots.
STEP FIVE: Pour the batter into a 15×10 jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
STEP SIX: Spread the batter evenly in the pan then bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
STEP SEVEN: Remove the cake from the oven and run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan to loosen it.
STEP EIGHT: Heavily dust a linen tea towel with powdered sugar and place it over the cake. Lay a large, heavy cutting board on top of the towel then quickly flip the cake over, taking care not to touch the hot pan with your hands.
PRO TIP: The tea towel should be wider than the jelly roll pan by about two inches on either side. Make sure to use a smooth towel rather than terry cloth, and avoid using fabric softener when you launder it so that you can avoid leaving fuzz or an odd taste on your cake.
STEP NINE: Remove the pan and carefully peel the parchment paper off the cake. Generously dust the cake with powdered sugar. Flip the ends of the towel over the short ends of the cake and carefully roll one end toward the other. Set it aside to cool completely.
PRO TIP: Be patient and take your time rolling and unrolling the cake, or it could crack. A few small cracks are nothing to worry about, but you don’t want to break your cake! Take it slow and easy.
STEP TEN: To make the filling, cream together the cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer for 1 to 1 ½ minutes.
STEP ELEVEN: Reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla and powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture. Increase the speed to medium and blend for another minute until smooth.
STEP TWELVE: To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until the glaze is completely smooth then set it aside.
STEP THIRTEEN: To assemble, slowly unroll the cake once it has completely cooled.
STEP FOURTEEN: Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake with a spatula, avoiding the edges of the cake.
STEP FIFTEEN: Using slow and even pressure, slowly roll the cake into a roll shape.
STEP SIXTEEN: Wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour or overnight.
STEP SEVENTEEN: Drizzle the glaze over the finished cake before slicing.
STEP EIGHTEEN: Cut the ends off the roll with a sharp knife, then gently slice the cake into 10 to 12 even slices.
PRO TIP: Freeze the cake for 30 minutes before slicing to make it easier to cut evenly. You can also run the knife under hot water and then dry it before slicing to help make more even slices.
STEP NINETEEN: Allow the slices to thaw for a few minutes before serving.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover any leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Unglazed carrot cake roll can be frozen, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to one month. Allow the roll to thaw before glazing and slicing.
This amazing homemade carrot cake roll will become a favorite once you try it. It’s a delicious classic treat with sweet, moist cake and the rich, creamy filling.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Carrot Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups carrots finely shredded (about 2 to 3 whole carrots)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting the cake once baked
- linen tea towel that is 2 inches longer at the top and bottom of the cake pan
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 tbsp salted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15×10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set it aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg. Set it aside.
- Using a stand mixer or a medium-size mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on high, beat the eggs for 5 minutes, until the eggs are a light frothy yellow.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and oil then continue beating until well combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture then fold in the shredded carrots.
- Evenly pour and evenly spread the cake batter into the prepared jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Using a sharp knife, run the tip along the edge of the sides not covered with parchment paper.
- Heavily dust the top of the tea towel with powdered sugar.
- Immediately place the tea towel on top of the cake.
- Lay the cutting board on top of the tea towel. TIP: The cake pan will still be very hot so you will need to be very careful and protect your hands.
- Quickly flip the cake over, so it is laying on top of the dusted tea towel.
- Carefully and slowly peel the parchment paper off of the cake then generously dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
- Flip one end of the tea towel over one of the short ends of the cake. Carefully begin to roll one end towards the other. Once rolled, set it aside to completely cool.
- To make the filling, use a medium-size mixing bowl and a handheld mixer to cream together the cream cheese and butter for 1 to 1 ½ minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend for another 1 minute until smooth.
- To make the glaze, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until completely smooth then set it aside.
- Once the cake completely cools, slowly unroll the cake. TIP: If there are a few small cracks, it will be okay.
- Using a silicone spatula or an offset spatula to smooth the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the cake avoiding the edges.
- Slowly with even pressure, carefully and slowly roll the cake only back into a “roll”.
- Wrap the carrot cake roll in plastic wrap, to ensure it holds its shape. Allow the cake to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Before slicing your carrot cake roll, drizzle the glaze over the top in a zigzag pattern.
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the ends of the roll. Then carefully slice 10 to 12 even slices.