Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
This homemade dog food birthday cake recipe is the perfect dessert for National Pet Day or your dog’s birthday. It’s made using easy ingredients like peanut butter, applesauce, and carrots, making for one very happy pup.
When decorating the finished, frosted, and delicious dog birthday cake, it’s perfect to top it off with our Homemade Dog Treats!
Dog Cake ingredients
Dogs should not be eating normal human cake. You wouldn’t want to feed your dog your own birthday cake (especially those ones that are heavy in sugar or chocolate.
This dog cake is made with all natural and pet friendly ingredients. To keep it even more natural, you can top it off with homemade dog treats.
You will need:
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (or bacon grease)
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 banana, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- Box of dog bones
Ingredient substitutions and additions
PEANUT BUTTER: You could substitute peanut butter for any type of creamy nut butter you have (almond butter, cashew butter, etc.) at home. It might make for a little different consistency, but taste and overall outcome will be the same.
DOG BONES: They are used more as a garnish, so you could choose to leave them off altogether or change the type of treat. To keep things homemade, you could also choose to make your own dog treats, using our delicious recipe!
How to Make A Dog Birthday Cake
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray cooking spray in two 6-inch round cake pans (these are smaller than normal cake pans). Then, line them with parchment paper on the bottom.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, combine your eggs, oil, applesauce, creamy peanut butter, carrot, banana, and honey. Whisk this all together until smooth.
STEP THREE: Add flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix with a spoon. Mixture will be on the thick side.
STEP FOUR: Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
STEP FIVE: Cool the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature before frosting the cake. If frosted too early the “frosting” will melt.
STEP SIX: Once the cake is cooled, mix the Greek yogurt and peanut butter in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until it is light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Place the bottom layer of the cake on a serving dish and place a generous amount of frosting on top and spread it out to the edges.
STEP EIGHT: Layer with the other cake piece and frost the top and sides of the cake. Place dog bones on top of the cake for decoration.
STEP NINE: Serve your cake immediately!
How to Store
You should store your dog food cake in an airtight container. You will also want to keep it in the fridge between servings. It will stay good for up to 3 days.
This easy to make dog food cake is so fun! Your dog is sure to love the yummy flavors and homemade icing. Made with applesauce, peanut butter, carrot and banana, it is completely pet friendly and safe for your dog to eat. Now your furry friends can celebrate with delicious cake, just like the rest of your family.
MORE DOG-RELATED IDEAS TO TRY
Dog Birthday Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or bacon grease)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut buter
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 banana cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Box of dog bones
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray cooking spray in 2 6 inch round cake pans (these aresmaller than normal cake pans), and line with parchment paper on the bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, oil, applesauce, creamy peanut butter, carrot, banana, andhoney. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix with a spoon. Mixture will be on the thick side.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of thecake.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire cooling rack. Let cool to roomtemperature before frosting cake. If frosted too early the “frosting” will melt.
- Once the cake is cooled mix the greek yogurt and peanut butter in a medium bowl with a handmixer until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a serving dish and place a generous amount of frosting on topand spread it out to the edges.
- Layer with the other cake piece and frost top and sides of cake. Place dog bones on top of thecake for decoration.
- Serve immediately.