Last updated on
Table of Contents
Juicy blackberries with a delicious butter crust surrounding every bite make these blackberry pie bars a must-bake treat. These bars have all the lovely tangy sweetness we adore in a blackberry pie, but they take a fraction of the time to make and bake.
BLACKBERRY PIE BARS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
For the Crust and Topping
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- ½ cups of unsalted sweet cream butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
For the Blackberry Filling
- 4 cups of fresh blackberries, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- ¾ cups of sugar
Pro Tip: Blackberries should be stored in the refrigerator after purchasing or picking. They are best used within 3 days.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Berries: For this recipe, you can use any kind of berries you’d like in place of the fresh blackberry filling. Try blueberries, raspberries or even a mix of berries. You can use strawberries as well, although you need to slice them, and the added juice in them will make your bars turn out with a slightly different texture.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BLACKBERRY PIE BARS RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a stand mixer add the flour, sugar, and lemon zest. On low speed, mix flour mixture until combined.
STEP TWO: Add in the cold unsalted butter and mix until you get pea-sized pieces of butter.
PRO TIP: Making the crust can be done in the bowl of a food processor, or in a large bowl with a pastry blender.
STEP THREE: Add in the beaten eggs and mix until a crumbly dough comes together.
STEP FOUR: Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper allowing for overhang so that you can lift the cooled bars out of the pan to cut. Press 2/3 of the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan and set aside.
STEP FIVE: In a large mixing bowl, combine the blackberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, and mix until combined.
PRO TIP: Don’t forget to rinse the blackberries before adding them to the bowl. Cleaning fresh blackberries is easy. The best way is to pour them into a colander. Discard any errant leaves or stems. Set the colander in the sink and run water over the berries. Leave it to drain for a few minutes.
STEP SIX: Pour the blackberry mixture over the top of the crust and even it out with a rubber spatula.
STEP SEVEN: Crumble the remaining pie dough over the blackberry filling.
STEP EIGHT: Bake an oven preheated to 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top crust appears slightly golden brown.
STEP NINE: Pull the baking dish out of the oven and set it aside to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting bars.
HOW TO SERVE
These easy blackberry pie bars are lovely served warm or cold. Top with a little bit of whipped cream and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side for a decadent dessert or the perfect afternoon snack. Serve with our iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea to wash them down.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store these blackberry slab pie bars in a covered container or covered in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: These blackberry bars can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
A burst of fresh blackberries is in every bite of these blissful bars. A thick and delicious butter pie crust acts as a base for these delectable blackberry crumb bars that taste just like pie but are much easier to make.
You can use any kind of berry in these bars. Blueberries and raspberries are the best choices. You can also use strawberries, but they will have to be sliced, and the juice may slightly affect the texture of the bars.
You can use either frozen or fresh berries in this simple dessert. If you are using frozen berries, you should let them thaw a bit and drain any excess juice.
Blackberry pie bars should be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Blackberry Pie Bars
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 large lemon zest
- ½ cups unsalted sweet cream butter cold and cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 4 cups fresh blackberries cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cups sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper allowing for overhang so that you can lift the cooled bars out of the pan to cut.
- In a standing mixer, add the flour, sugar, and lemon zest. On low speed, mix until combined.
- Add in the butter and mix until you get pea-sized pieces of butter.Tip: This can also be done in a food processor, or in a large bowl with a pastry cutter.
- Add in the beaten eggs and mix until a crumbly dough comes together.
- Press 2/3 of the dough evenly into the bottom of the parchment-lined baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the blackberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Pour the blackberry mixture over the crust and even it out with a rubber spatula.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the blackberry filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the crumble appears slightly golden brown.
- Pull the baking dish out of the oven and set it aside to cool completely before cutting bars.