November 13, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Bright and citrusy, this no-bake lemon pie is one of our favorites. A buttery graham cracker crust is followed by a velvety lemon pudding and topped with light and airy whipped cream that tastes heavenly.
No-Bake Lemon Pie Ingredients
When it comes to desserts, there’s nothing quite as refreshing and satisfying as a slice of no-bake lemon pie.
With a creamy filling that’s perfectly balanced between sweet and tangy, every bite is like a burst of sunshine on your tongue.
The crust, made from crumbled graham crackers and butter, adds a crunchy texture that contrasts beautifully with the smoothness of the lemony filling.
- ½ cup of salted butter
- 1¾ cup of graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 (3.4-ounce) packages of instant lemon pudding mix
- 2 cups of whole or 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 8-ounce tub of whipped topping (Cool Whip), divided in half
If you can’t find crushed graham crackers, you can buy whole graham crackers and crush them yourself.
Add graham crackers to a food processor and run on high for 30 seconds and then pulse until desired crumb texture or you can place the graham crackers in a plastic storage bag, seal and roll over with a rolling pin until crushed.
Substitutions And Additions
GRAHAM CRUST: In place of the graham crackers, you could also make a crust using crushed vanilla wafers or even a shortbread crust if you prefer.
LEMON LAYER: Lemon pudding is an easy way to make this layer, but you could substitute it with lemon pie filling or lemon curd.
Add lemon zest to your lemon layer, or sprinkle a little bit on top for a pop of bright color.
TOPPING: Lemon zest is the classic choice for the top of this lemon ice box pie. You could also sprinkle chopped nuts or toasted coconut.
How about fresh raspberries for a burst of rich color?
WHIPPED CREAM: In place of Cool Whip, you can use our homemade whipped cream for this great recipe.
How To Make This No-Bake Lemon Pie Recipe
Once you make the buttery graham cracker crust, you can mix up the pudding filling and spread it in the dish. Top with whipped topping, and you are all set.
STEP ONE: Place the butter in an 8×8 square glass baking dish and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to melt the butter.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you don’t have an 8×8 square pan, you can make this a round dessert using a round 9-inch pie plate.
STEP TWO: Add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar directly into the baking dish and mix with the melted butter to combine.
STEP THREE: Press the graham cracker mixture evenly across the bottom of the baking dish and place it in the freezer to firm up while preparing the pudding.
STEP FOUR: In a medium bowl, whisk together the contents of the pudding packages, milk, and lemon zest. Continue whisking until the pudding thickens.
For this recipe, it is better to overmix rather than undermix to ensure that all the pudding has dissolved.
STEP FIVE: Scoop one cup of pudding from the mixing bowl and spread it evenly over the chilled graham cracker crust.
STEP SIX: Fold half of the container of whipped topping (four ounces) into the remaining pudding in the mixing bowl.
Spread this layer of pudding/whipped topping evenly over the pudding layer in the baking dish.
STEP SEVEN: Gently scoop the remaining whipped topping into the baking dish and spread evenly. Be careful not to mix it into the layers below.
STEP EIGHT: Chill the lemon pie in the refrigerator or freezer until the creamy lemon filling is set. Top with lemon zest and serve.
Chilling this easy lemon dessert overnight will make it easier to cut and give it a thicker consistency.
How To Serve This Easy Lemon Pie Recipe
Serve this creamy lemon pie with candied lemons, which can be set on top of the dessert and stored that way.
If you want to serve with fresh lemon slices on top, they need to be set on immediately before serving, or the juice from the lemon slice will run into the Cool Whip.
Make your no-bake lemon pie even fancier with a lemon curl. Take a whole slice of lemon and cut a single slit in the middle. Give it a twist and place it on the pie.
Serve this easy dessert after a hearty meal with a scoop of our no-churn vanilla ice cream on the side.
Storing This No-Bake Lemon Pudding Pie
Here’s how to store and enjoy your pie:
MAKE AHEAD: While this pie is incredibly quick to prepare, you can also make it ahead of time for convenience.
Follow the recipe as usual, and once the pie has set in the refrigerator, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
It can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours before serving, allowing you to get a head start on dessert for your upcoming gathering.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover this no-bake lemon icebox pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: Freeze this easy lemon cream pie in an airtight container for up to three months.
Why We Love This Recipe
EFFORTLESS ELEGANCE: This pie combines the elegance of a luscious lemon dessert with the simplicity of a no-bake recipe.
REFRESHING CITRUS BURST: The pie’s refreshing citrusy tang offers a delightful contrast to richer desserts, making it perfect anytime you crave a light and zingy treat.
EASY TO MAKE: Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is a breeze to follow.
Add a bit of sunshine to your plate with this no-bake lemon pie. It is refreshing, with sweet and tart flavors that mingle together to create the perfect dessert that all lemon lovers will adore.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can freeze this easy lemon pie recipe. It also makes a delicious frozen treat if you’d like to serve it straight out of the freezer.
Leftover pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days covered in plastic wrap. It can also be frozen for up to three months.
You can make your own whipped cream and use it in place of the Cool Whip for this no-bake recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
No-Bake Lemon Pie
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6.8 ounces instant lemon pudding mix (two 3.4-ounce packages)
- 2 cups whole milk, or 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, divided in half
- Place the butter in an 8×8 square glass baking dish and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to melt the butter.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar directly into the baking dish and mix with the melted butter to combine.
- Press the graham cracker mixture evenly across the bottom of the baking dish and place in the freezer to firm up while preparing pudding.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the contents of the pudding packages, milk and lemon zest. Continue whisking until the pudding thickens.
- Scoop 1 cup of pudding from the mixing bowl and spread it evenly over the chilled graham cracker crust.
- Fold ½ of the container of whipped topping (4 ounces) into the remaining pudding in the mixing bowl. Spread this layer of pudding/whipped topping evenly over the pudding layer in the baking dish.
- Gently scoop the remaining whipped topping into the baking dish and spread evenly. Be careful not to mix into the layers below.
- Chill the lemon pie in the refrigerator or freezer until set. Top with lemon zest and serve.
- If you don’t have an 8×8 square pan, you can make this a round dessert using a round 9-inch cake pan.
- For this recipe, it is better to overmix rather than undermix to ensure that all of the pudding has dissolved.
- Chilling this dessert overnight will make it easier to cut and give it a thicker consistency.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Banana Pudding Pie
- No-Churn Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pie
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Lemon Fluff
- S’mores Hand Pie
- Dole Whip
- Coconut Macaroons
- Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- Lemon Eclair Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake
- Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- Pie Crust Recipe
- Chocolate Meringue Pie Recipe
- Lemon Brownies
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Mini Blueberry Pies