October 19, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Hashbrown bites with sausage and cheese are a delicious breakfast idea that would also work well as an easy appetizer or a crowd-pleasing addition to your buffet. Much more fun than plain old hash browns, these cheesy mini bites are packed full of flavor.
Hashbrown Bites Ingredients
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of salted butter, melted
- 1½ cups of Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 pound of mild breakfast sausage
- 16-ounce bag of frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Substitutions and Additions
COLBY-JACK CHEESE: You can make this by mixing equal parts of Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses. Alternatively, another mild cheese like Pepper Jack, cheddar cheese, or gouda would also work for this recipe.
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE: You could easily make this recipe vegetarian by switching the pork sausage to a plant-based sausage.
BACON: This would make a tasty optional addition to this hash brown bites recipe
JALAPEÑOS: If you love spicy food, why not throw a few diced jalapeños into the mix?
How To Make This Hashbrown Bites Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
STEP THREE: While the mixer is running, drizzle in the melted butter to form a crumbled mixture.
STEP FOUR: Add the shredded cheese, sausage, hash browns, and cream cheese. Beat until fully mixed.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and beat a bit longer to make sure that all the flour gets mixed in.
STEP FIVE: Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop each ball of mixture onto a baking sheet, spaced one inch apart.
STEP SIX: Bake for 25 minutes or until the hash bites are lightly golden brown.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from the oven. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
How To Serve
Serve these cheesy hash brown bites for a special weekend breakfast or brunch alongside bacon and eggs. These bites are also perfect as an appetizer for a party. Add a few dipping sauces, such as our Carolina mustard BBQ sauce or copycat Chick Fil A sauce, and you are all set.
IN THE FRIDGE: Hash brown mini bites can be stored in the fridge for three to four days in an airtight container. You can eat them cold or reheat them in the microwave or oven.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze hash bites for up to a month. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.
Hashbrown bites potato appetizers are one of the best snacks to serve at a Superbowl Party or other group event. They taste great drizzled with maple syrup, or you could serve them with a choice of dips, like sour cream, Hollandaise sauce, and barbecue sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can mix in additional vegetables if you would like, such as diced tomatoes, diced onions, or green pepper.
These tasty bites freeze very well, and would be great to make a double batch and save some to reheat later.
You can use shredded potatoes in place of frozen hash browns in this recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Egg Bites
- French Toast Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Mini Cheeseball Bites
- Sausage Bites
- Mini Pancakes
- Hamburger Hash
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
- Grilled Potatoes
- Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Cheese Sticks
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Sheet Pan Eggs
- Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Red Potatoes Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Crockpot Chex Mix
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 pound mild breakfast sausage
- 1½ cup Colby-Jack cheese, grated
- 16 ounce bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, sliced and softened
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Drizzle melted butter into the flour mixture while the mixer is running to form a crumbled mixture.
- Add grated cheese, sausage, hash browns, and cream cheese then beat until fully mixed. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and beat a bit longer to make sure all the flour from the bottom of the bowl has been incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop balls of the mixture. Place scoops 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. You can roll the balls in your hands to make them more smooth and compact, but this isn’t necessary.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with a bit of finely chopped parsley.
- Serve hot.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and beat a bit longer to make sure that all the flour gets mixed in.