Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
Hashbrown bites with sausage and cheese are a delicious breakfast idea that would also work well as an easy appetizer or a crowd-pleasing addition to your buffet. Much more fun than plain old hash browns, these cheesy mini bites are packed full of flavor.
HASHBROWN BITES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of salted butter, melted
- 1 pound of mild breakfast sausage
- 1½ cups of Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 16-ounce bag of frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, finely chopped
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Frozen Hash Browns: Frozen tater tots would also work for this recipe, as they’re both essentially just grated potatoes.
Colby-Jack Cheese: You can make this by mixing equal parts of Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses. Alternatively, another mild cheese like Pepper Jack, Cheddar Cheese, or Gouda would also work for this recipe.
Breakfast Sausage: You could easily make this recipe vegetarian by switching the pork sausage for a plant-based sausage.
Bacon: This would make a tasty optional addition to this hash brown bites recipe
Jalapeños: If you love spicy food, why not throw a few diced jalapeños into the mix?
HOW TO MAKE THIS HASHBROWN BITES RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
STEP THREE: While the mixer is running, drizzle in the melted butter to form a crumbled mixture.
STEP FOUR: Add the shredded cheese, sausage, hash browns and cream cheese. Beat until fully mixed.
PRO TIP: Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and beat a bit longer to make sure that all the flour gets mixed in.
STEP FIVE: Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop each ball of mixture onto a baking sheet, spaced one inch apart.
STEP SIX: Bake for 25 minutes or until the hash bites are lightly golden brown.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from the oven. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and drizzled with maple syrup.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve these cheesy hash brown bites for a special weekend breakfast or brunch alongside bacon and eggs. These bites are also perfect as an appetizer for a party. Add a few dipping sauces such as our Carolina mustard BBQ sauce or copycat Chick Fil A sauce and you are all set. Add our cucumber bites, seven-layer dip and chips for your guests to munch on as well.
IN THE FRIDGE: Hash brown mini bites can be stored in the fridge for three to four days in an airtight container. You can eat them cold or reheat them in the microwave or oven.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze hash bites for up to a month. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.
Hash brown potato appetizers are one of the best snacks to serve at a Superbowl Party or other group event. They taste great drizzled with maple syrup, or you could serve them with a choice of dips, like sour cream, Hollandaise sauce, and barbecue sauce.
You can mix in additional vegetables if you would like such as diced tomatoes, diced onions or green pepper.
These tasty bites freeze very well and would be great to make a double batch and save some to reheat later.
You can use shredded potatoes in place of frozen hash browns in this recipe.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1 pound mild breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cup colby-jack cheese grated
- 16 ounce bag frozen hash browns thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese sliced and softened
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Drizzle melted butter into flour mixture while mixer is running to form a crumbled mixture.
- Add grated cheese, sausage, hash browns, and cream cheese then beat until fully mixed. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and beat a bit longer to make sure all the flour from the bottom of the bowl has been incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop balls of the mixture. Place scoops 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. You can roll the balls in your hands to make them more smooth and compact, but this isn’t necessary.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with a bit of finely chopped parsley and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Serve hot.