Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Made with well-seasoned ground beef, crispy twice-cooked potatoes and lashings of cheese, ground beef hash has an incredibly moreish cheeseburger flavor. This recipe is so quick and easy to make and uses minimal equipment, which means less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
INGREDIENTS for HAMBURGER HASH
You will need:
- 3 medium-sized Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 medium-sized white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Russet Potatoes: These are also known as Idaho potatoes. If you don’t have this specific variety of potato, then you can use any other type of starchy potatoes.
Ground Beef: To make this dish vegetarian, simply swap the ground beef for your favorite meat-free ground beef alternative.
Italian Seasoning: This is a combination of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, garlic, sage and coriander. If you have most of these herbs already, you can use them instead.
Cheddar Cheese: Any hard cheese would work for this recipe, so try Jack, Colby, Swiss, Gouda or whatever you have to hand. You could also add a little mozzarella for a stringy, chewy texture.
Vegetables: Make this dish a little healthier by sneaking in some mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes or whatever you have in the fridge.
Chilies: If you like your food spicy, you could add some fresh chopped chilies, chili flakes or chili powder to taste.
HOW TO MAKE THIS GROUND BEEF HASH RECIPE
STEP ONE: Boil the diced potatoes in salted water for five to seven minutes, until tender but not too soft. Drain the water and set the potatoes aside.
STEP TWO: In a large non-stick skillet, over a high heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain off the fat. Put the cooked beef in a separate bowl and set aside.
STEP THREE: Turn the heat down to medium and heat the vegetable oil in the skillet that you used for the beef.
PRO TIP: Heating the vegetable oil fist makes for crispier potatoes.
STEP FOUR: Add the diced onion, cooked potatoes, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat the potatoes and onions in seasoning. Cook for five minutes, while stirring regularly, until the potatoes and onions have started to brown.
STEP FIVE: Add the ground beef back into the skillet and stir well for a few minutes. Then add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
STEP SIX: Remove from the heat and serve hot.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover hamburger potato hash can be stored in a sealed food storage container in the fridge for up to five days. Be sure to reheat thoroughly before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: Hamburger hash can be frozen for up to three months. If you plan to freeze this recipe, we suggest holding off the cheese and adding it at the end when you reheat it.
Hamburger hash combines tasty ground beef, crispy potatoes and gooey cheese to create an easy, one-skillet meal that’s ready in just 20 minutes. Perfect for busy families, this super-simple dinner idea is sure to have everyone asking for more.
more recipes you’ll love
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Boil potatoes in water until tender but not too soft/mushy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water then set potatoes aside.
- In a large 32cm non-stick skillet, over high heat, cook ground beef until browned. Drain off fat. Put cooked beef in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat fry together vegetable oil, onion, potatoes, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat potatoes and onions in seasoning. Cook until potatoes and onions have started to brown, about 5 minutes and stirring often.
- Add ground beef back to the skillet and stir well to mix. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot.