Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
This classic meat and potato dish is fast to make and sure to become a family favourite. In just 20 minutes, you’ll have cooked up a deliciously cheesy meal that you’ll be reaching for time and time again. You’ll crave the rich flavours of this well-seasoned hamburger potato hash; big, chunky potatoes and juicy ground beef smothered in cheddar!
This hamburger hash recipe is great to serve up on its own, but you can pair it with some Simple Sauteed Vegetables. Or if the melty cheesy goodness is what you’re focusing on, try our Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread.
INGREDIENTS for HAMBURGER HASH
You will need:
- 3 medium-sized Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 medium-sized white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
GROUND TURKEY: Swap your beef for turkey. Lean ground turkey is a great source of healthy protein. It’s lower in calories and saturated fat than ground beef while having almost the same amount of protein. Lean ground turkey is also rich in calcium.
EGG: Add in an egg, either scrambled to mix in, or fried and laid over top. This can help bring out even more flavours in this dish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS GROUND BEEF HASH RECIPE
STEP ONE: Boil potatoes in water until tender but not too soft/mushy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water then set potatoes aside.
PRO TIP: Use a fork to gently pierce potatoes while they are boiling. When the fork will piece the potato easily but not break it apart, your potatoes are probably ready.
STEP TWO: In a large 32cm non-stick skillet over high heat, cook ground beef until browned. Drain off fat. Put cooked beef in a separate bowl and set aside.
STEP THREE: In the same now empty skillet over medium heat fry together vegetable oil, onion, potatoes, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat potatoes and onions in seasoning. Cook, stirring often, until potatoes and onions have started to brown, about 5 minutes.
PRO TIP: To bring out the flavor of your spices, rub them between your palms to break them up before adding them to your recipe. Just make sure your hands are clean and dry first!
STEP FOUR: Add ground beef back to the skillet and stir well to mix. Add cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Serve hot.
In the Fridge: You can easily store leftovers in a sealed food storage container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
In The Freezer: This Hamburger Hash can also be sealed away tightly and stored in the freezer for up to three months. Remember to let thaw in the fridge before reheating.
With a short cook time and an even shorter prep time, our hamburger potato hash will become a weeknight staple meal. From the juicy ground beef, hearty potatoes, and melty cheese this dish has a wide variety of tasty flavours that are great to be enjoyed on their own or prepared and complemented by the side of your choice since it pairs so great with almost anything!
more recipes you’ll love
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Boil potatoes in water until tender but not too soft/mushy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water then set potatoes aside.
- In a large 32cm non-stick skillet, over high heat, cook ground beef until browned. Drain off fat. Put cooked beef in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat fry together vegetable oil, onion, potatoes, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat potatoes and onions in seasoning. Cook until potatoes and onions have started to brown, about 5 minutes and stirring often.
- Add ground beef back to the skillet and stir well to mix. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot.