Last updated on
Table of Contents
It’s so easy to make this Thumbprint Cookies recipe. These one of a kind cookies are made by indenting the cookie dough before baking, and filling it with your choice of topping. Whether you are filling them with jam, chocolate, or caramel they are sure to be chewy and delicious.
Need a couple more yummy cookie recipes? Apple Pie Cookies and Cherry Cheesecake Cookies are two additional recipes that also have a gooey filling. Both are super simple and make for a unique but delicious treat.
THUMBPRINT COOKIES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup jam
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Jam: You can use any type of jam in your cookies. My favorite is raspberry, but you could try using grape, strawberry, peach, or apricot. You can use store-bought or homemade jam.
Chocolate/Caramel: For a different flavor, try filling the indent with chocolate or caramel Hershey’s topping. If adding caramel, I recommend sprinkling a few with sea salt for a salted caramel cookie!
Icing: For a bit of extra sweetness, you can drizzle your cookies with icing when they are finished baking and cooling.
HOW TO MAKE THIS THUMBPRINT COOKIES RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO: LIne 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
STEP THREE: In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: In a large bowl beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy. This usually takes about 2 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well mixed.
STEP SIX: Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat just until well mixed.
STEP SEVEN: Drop rounded cookies, 1.5 tablespoon in size and 2 inches apart, onto the parchment paper lined baking sheets.
STEP EIGHT: Using the back of a teaspoon, dusted in flour to prevent sticking, press back the teaspoon about half way down into each cookie to create an indent for the jam. Using a small spoon, fill each indent with jam of your choice.
STEP NINE: Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the bottom edges look slightly browned.
STEP TEN: Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the fridge or on the countertop at room temperature. Be sure to store them in a sealed food container for up to one week for maximum freshness.
IN THE FREEZER: Like most cookies, thumbprint cookies freeze well. Make sure that they are completely cooled before placing them in the freezer in a Ziploc bag or airtight container. Before serving, allow them to sit at room temperature, so that the filling can thaw.
This recipe is fun and easy to make. Mix up your dough, make the balls, give them an indent, and fill them with your desired filling. Be sure to add these tasty cookies to your baking list this holiday season.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup jam
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well mixed.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat just until well mixed.
- Drop rounded cookies, 1.5 tablespoon in size and 2 inches apart, onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Using the back of a teaspoon, dusted in flour to prevent sticking, press back of teaspoon about half way down into each cookie to create an indent for the jam.
- Using a small spoon, fill each indent with jam of your choice.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until bottom edges look slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing and placing on wire racks to cool completely.