July 14, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
I love fluffy dessert salads and our jello salad is a tasty and fun treat. Whipped cream, jello and cottage cheese are blended with pineapple and strawberries for a colorful, creamy and fruity salad.
JELLO SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 ounces strawberry jello powder
- 1 cup low fat small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup capped and thinly sliced fresh strawberries + 1 thinly sliced strawberry (optional garnish)
The low fat small curd cottage cheese has very little excess liquid. If you choose to use a large curd cottage cheese, you may need to drain it before adding to the jello mixture.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
JELLO: Any flavor of jello can be used in this great recipe.
FRUIT: If you are choosing a different jello flavor for your jello fluff salad, be sure to substitute the sliced strawberries for the flavor of jello you choose. For example, for orange gelatin, substitute the sliced strawberries for a drained can of mandarin oranges. You could also opt to use a fruit cocktail mix instead of a single fruit to give it a unique flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS JELLO SALAD RECIPE
STEP ONE: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the thawed whipped topping and the jello powder until the jello powder begins dissolving and the gelatin mixture is smooth.
STEP TWO: Fold in the cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapple pieces and the sliced strawberries.
Stir all of the ingredients together carefully as you don’t want to break apart the fruit pieces.
STEP THREE: Garnish with thinly sliced strawberries. Serve immediately, or cover and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
If you have the time, allow this salad to chill for at least a couple of hours in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to mingle together in your salad.
HOW TO SERVE
This cottage cheese jello salad is always a welcome treat at family gatherings or a holiday meal for a sweet side dish or as a dessert option. Serve our refreshing iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea on the side for a fancy drink.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Vintage recipes just like this foamy pink treat, with only a handful of simple ingredients, make these dessert salads an easy recipe to whip up any time you want to bring an easy dessert to a potluck or special event.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This retro recipe is a great make-ahead dessert. It gives the salad time to let all the flavors and different textures mingle and combine together for an even tastier fluff salad.
This classic side dish is flexible and you can easily add different fruits. Red or green grapes or even mandarin oranges would be a perfect choice for this recipe.
There is plenty of flexibility in fluff salads. By changing up the fruit and jello flavor, the sky’s the limit. Try a lime jello salad, cranberry jello salad, orange jello salad or raspberry jello salad.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Blondies
- Strawberry Bread
- Jello Divinity
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Peach Fluff
- 8 ounces cool whip thawed
- 3 ounces strawberry jello powder
- 1 cup cottage cheese low fat small curd
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1 cup fresh strawberries capped and thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- 1 strawberry thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the thawed cool whip and the jello powder until the jello powder begins dissolving and the mixture is smooth.
- Fold in the cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapples and the sliced strawberries.
- Garnish with thinly sliced strawberries. Serve immediately, or cover and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.