October 13, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
I love fluffy dessert salads, and our jello salad is a tasty and fun treat. Whipped cream, jello, and cottage cheese are blended with pineapple and strawberries for a colorful salad.
Strawberry Jello Salad Ingredients
This jello salad is a delightful blend of sweet and creamy flavors with a refreshing fruitiness.
The Cool Whip provides a luscious texture, while the strawberry jello infuses it with vibrant strawberry sweetness. Cottage cheese adds a unique tanginess, and crushed pineapple brings a tropical twist.
- 8 ounces of Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 ounces of strawberry jello powder
- 1 cup of low-fat small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup of capped and thinly sliced fresh strawberries + 1 thinly sliced strawberry (optional garnish)
The low fat small curd cottage cheese has very little excess liquid. If you choose to use a large curd cottage cheese, you may need to drain it before adding to the jello mixture.
Jello Fruit Salad Substitutions And Additions
JELLO: Experiment with different fruit-flavored jello powders to create unique variations.
Raspberry, cherry, or even orange jello can infuse distinct fruity notes into your salad.
CRUSHED PINEAPPLE: While canned crushed pineapple is convenient, you can use fresh pineapple if it’s in season for a brighter, less sweet flavor.
If you prefer a different fruit, such as mandarin oranges or diced peaches, they can be substituted for a unique twist.
FRESH STRAWBERRIES: Experiment with other fresh berries or fruit like blueberries, raspberries, or kiwi to add different colors and flavors.
FRUIT: If you are choosing a different jello flavor for your jello fluff salad, be sure to substitute the sliced strawberries for the flavor of jello you choose.
For example, for orange gelatin, substitute the sliced strawberries for a drained can of mandarin oranges.
You could also opt to use a fruit cocktail mix instead of a single fruit to give it a unique flavor.
How To Make Jello Salad
Once you mix all of the ingredients together, you’ll want to give this salad time to chill in the fridge to allow the flavors to mingle.
STEP ONE: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the thawed whipped topping and the jello powder until the jello powder begins dissolving and the gelatin mixture is smooth.
STEP TWO: Fold in the cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapple pieces, and sliced strawberries.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Stir all of the ingredients together carefully as you don’t want to break apart the fruit pieces.
STEP THREE: Garnish with thinly sliced strawberries. Serve immediately, or cover and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
If you have the time, allow this salad to chill for at least a couple of hours in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to mingle together in your salad.
How To Serve Cottage Cheese Jello Salad
This cottage cheese jello salad is always a welcome treat at family gatherings or a holiday meal for a sweet side dish or as a dessert option.
Create elegant parfaits by layering the jello salad with whipped cream and crushed graham crackers in tall glasses.
Turn this Jello salad into popsicles or frozen treats by pouring it into molds and freezing. Kids and adults will love these refreshing, fruity popsicles on a hot day.
Congealed Salad Storage
Whether you’re planning to enjoy it for days to come or saving some leftovers for later, here’s what you need to know to keep it fresh and tasty.
MAKE AHEAD: After you’ve prepared it and allowed it to set in the refrigerator, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Your make-ahead jello salad will stay delightful for up to 24 hours in the fridge. Beyond that, the texture may start to change, so it’s best to enjoy it fresh.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing this jello salad as it will lose its creamy texture once thawed.
Why We Love This Recipe
There are plenty of reasons to love this fluff salad, including:
VIBRANT AND COLORFUL: This jello salad is a feast for the eyes with its colorful layers and appealing presentation. It instantly brightens up any table and adds a festive touch to gatherings.
REFRESHING AND LIGHT: With its fruity and gelatinous base, this salad is a refreshing and light option, making it perfect for warm weather or as a palate cleanser between heavier dishes during a meal.
This Jello Salad Is So Light And Airy!
Vintage recipes just like this foamy pink jello salad, with only a handful of simple ingredients, make these dessert salads an easy recipe to whip up any time you want to bring an easy dessert to a potluck or special event.
Jello Cool Whip Salad FAQs
This retro recipe is a great make-ahead dessert. It gives the salad time to let all the flavors and different textures mingle and combine together for an even tastier fluff salad.
This classic side dish is flexible, and you can easily add different fruits. Red or green grapes or even mandarin oranges would be a perfect choice for this recipe.
There is plenty of flexibility in fluff salads. By changing up the fruit and jello flavor, the sky’s the limit. Try a lime jello salad, cranberry jello salad, orange jello salad, or raspberry jello salad.
This tasty fluff salad is called a jello salad since it is made with gelatin powder as part of the ingredients.
Excess sugar is not advised to add to a gelatin salad. Raw pineapple (different than canned) and papaya both have enzymes that will break down the gelatin and, therefore, it is not recommended to use these fruits.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Blondies
- Strawberry Bread
- Jello Divinity
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Peach Fluff
- Cranberry Salad
- Pistachio Salad
- Lemon Fluff
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad
- Peanut Butter Fluff
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Salad
- Taffy Apple Salad
- Pudding Fruit Salad
- Pina Colada Fluff
- Waldorf Salad
- Grilled Pineapple
- Banana Split Fluff
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Trifle
- Strawberry Christmas Trees
- Strawberry Jello Cookies
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Cherry Cheesecake Eggrolls
Jello Cool Whip Salad
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 ounces strawberry jello powder
- 1 cup cottage cheese, low-fat small curd
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, capped and thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- 1 strawberry, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the thawed Cool Whip and the jello powder until the jello powder begins dissolving and the mixture is smooth.
- Fold in the cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapples and the sliced strawberries.
- Garnish with thinly sliced strawberries. Serve immediately, or cover and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
- The low-fat small curd cottage cheese has very little excess liquid. If you choose to use a large curd cottage cheese, you may need to drain it before adding to the jello mixture.
- Stir all of the ingredients together carefully as you don’t want to break apart the fruit pieces.
- If you have the time, allow this salad to chill for at least a couple of hours in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to mingle together in your salad.