September 20, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Our classic ambrosia salad recipe is a tasty fluff salad that is packed with pineapple, sweet mandarin oranges, crunchy coconut, and miniature marshmallows. The simple ingredients are mixed with a creamy dressing, making this heavenly salad a delicious and refreshing choice for the perfect side dish.
What Is Ambrosia?
Ambrosia is an American variety of fruit salad, usually containing pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, and coconut.
Ingredients For Ambrosia Salad
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) container of whipped topping
- 1 (15-ounce) can of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (20-ounce) can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (12-ounce) jar of maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup of shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- chopped walnuts (optional, for garnish)
Ambrosia Salad Recipe Substitutions And Additions
NUTS: If your family doesn’t like the walnuts, they can be left off. You could also replace them with slivered almonds or another nut, depending on your preference.
WHIPPED TOPPING: If you would prefer to use homemade whipped cream in this easy fruit salad, check out our own stabilized whipped cream recipe.
CREAM CHEESE: In place of the cream cheese, you could opt to use sour cream, vanilla yogurt, or plain Greek yogurt, and your dressing will still be nice and creamy.
FRUIT: If you prefer, you could add a can of fruit cocktail for a different variety of fruit in your ambrosia salad with cream cheese.
MARSHMALLOWS: You can choose to use white miniature marshmallows or, make your salad extra fun with rainbow mini marshmallows.
Can I Add Other Fruit To This Ambrosia Fruit Salad Recipe?
This delicious fruit salad is flexible, and you can easily add other fruits. Red or green grapes would be a perfect choice for this recipe.
Can I Leave Out The Coconut?
You can certainly omit the coconut from this salad without it being missed.
How To Make Ambrosia Salad
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on low until smooth.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with any lumps in your creamy mixture.
STEP TWO: Add the whipped topping, a third at a time, mixing on low speed.
STEP THREE: Stir in the mandarin orange slices, pineapple, cherries, coconut, and marshmallows.
Stir all of the ingredients together carefully, as you don’t want to break apart the fruit pieces.
STEP FOUR: Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped walnuts and cherries if desired.
If you have the time, allow this marshmallow fruit salad with cream cheese to chill for several hours in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to mingle together in your salad.
How To Serve Ambrosia (Fruit Salad)
This easy salad is refreshing and light, perfect for a simple side dish during the summer months.
It is also a popular salad to be found on a holiday dinner table or other special occasions.
Fruit Salad With Cool Whip Storage
IN THE FRIDGE: If you don’t eat all the creamy fruit salad in one serving, just scoop it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It will last for two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: We do not recommend freezing this easy dessert. Neither the marshmallows nor the creamy dressing will do very well in the freezer.
Does Ambrosia Salad Go Bad?
Ambrosia salad will last in the fridge for around three days as long as it is well-covered.
Ambrosia Fruit Salad Is A Classic!
This ambrosia with cream cheese is a classic salad, and the fresh fruit flavors are hard to resist. It is light, fluffy, and flavorful, with a unique mix of colorful fruit, marshmallows, and whipped topping. And those cherries! Make it to enjoy with your family soon… you won’t be disappointed.
Frequently Asked Questions
The name ambrosia originally referred to as “food of the Gods”. This salad got its name as many of the ingredients were once hard to find, making it a luxury.
Ambrosia salad is a popular dish that is often found in the Southern United States.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Jello Pie
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Blueberry Delight
- Pineapple Upside Down Mini Cakes
- Overnight Fruit Salad
- Lemon Fluff
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Dole Whip
- Peach Fluff
- Pistachio Salad
- Tropical Cheesecake Fruit Salad
- Orange Fluff
- Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Salad
- Pudding Fruit Salad
- Hawaiian Pineapple Cookies
- Carmelized Pineapple
- Baked S’mores
- Fuji Apple Panera Salad
Ambrosia Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 15 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 12 ounces maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup marshmallows
- chopped walnuts, for optional garnish
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on low until smooth.
- Add the whipped topping, a third at a time, mixing on low speed.
- Stir in oranges, pineapple, cherries, coconut and marshmallows.
- Spoon into serving bowl and garnish with chopped walnuts and cherries if desired.
- Substitute the walnuts for slivered almonds if you prefer.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with any lumps in your cream mixture.
- Stir all of the ingredients together carefully, as you don’t want to break apart the fruit pieces.
- If you have the time, allow this salad to chill for several hours in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to mingle together in your salad.