Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
These apple fritter rings are an easy alternative to old-fashioned apple fritters. You won’t need a fryer for these, just a frying pan! Crisp apples are battered and shallow fried to golden perfection, then lightly dusted with cinnamon sugar.
APPLE FRITTER RINGS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- Oil for frying, only needs to be 1 to 2 inches deep
- 4 apples
- 1 can ginger ale
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Powdered sugar: Granulated sugar can replace the powdered sugar in this recipe.
Apple varieties: Any apples can be used in this recipe, but we think the best apples to use are crisp, sweet varieties like Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, or Jazz.
Ginger ale: Lemon-lime soda can be substituted for the ginger ale, for milder, sweeter flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS APPLE FRITTER RINGS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Heat 1 to 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees in an electric frying pan or a skillet on the stove.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have a way to test the temperature of the oil, dip the handle of a wooden spoon in the hot oil. If bubbles gather around it, the oil is ready.
STEP TWO: Core the apples then slice them one quarter inch thick and set aside.
PRO TIP: You can slice the apples first, then use a spoon to remove the core from each slice.
STEP THREE: Whisk the ginger ale, flour, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
STEP FOUR: Once the oil is hot, dip each apple ring in batter then into the hot oil. Working in batches, arrange the fritters in a single layer without crowding, so that they don’t stick together.
STEP FIVE: Fry the fritters for two minutes, then turn them over gently and fry for two more minutes. Remove to drain on a paper towel. Keep them crisp in a warm oven while you repeat the process with all the apple slices.
PRO TIP: Taste test your first batch to make sure the apples are still crisp. Overcooking the apples will result in mushy, soggy fritters. Keep the oil hot while you work, drain the excess grease, and serve the apples soon after frying to keep them crispy as long as possible.
STEP SIX: Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the finished apples.
STEP SEVEN: Serve warm. Dip these apple fritters with caramel sauce or take this dessert from simple to special top them with our homemade vanilla ice cream, drizzle with caramel, or fudge sauce and sprinkle with nuts.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store covered on the counter for a day or two. Reheat in the oven or in a pan on the stove. Microwaving these apple rings will turn them to mush.
IN THE FREEZER: Freezing is not recommended.
If your family loves dessert after dinner but you don’t have a lot of time, these fried apple rings are a simple treat. Apple fritters are often made with buttermilk, but using soda instead of heavy dairy in the batter gives the apple fritters a light crust. Pick up a can of ginger ale and a few apples the next time you shop, and see why these apple fritters are the best ever.
Overcooking your apples will make them soggy. Fry your fritters for no more than 2 minutes per side for crisp fritters.
Sweet crisp apples such as Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Jazz are the best varieties for making apple fritters.
Dip your fritters in warm caramel sauce, or top them with vanilla ice cream, caramel or hot fudge sauce and a sprinkle of nuts.
You don’t need an air fryer. This recipe uses a frying pan to make the fritters.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Apple Fritter Rings
- oil for frying only needs to be 1 to 2 inches deep
- 4 apples
- 1 can Ginger Ale
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Turn on the heat to your oil to reach 350°F.TIP: If you don’t have a way to check the temperature of your oil a quick cheat is to use the handle of a wooden spoon. If bubbles form around the wood then the oil is hot enough to fry.
- Using an apple corer remove the core from the apples.TIP: If you don’t have an apple corer you can slice the apples then use a spoon to carefully remove the core circle.
- Slice the apples into ¼ inch slices and set aside.
- Pour the ginger ale into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add the flour and salt. Mix together using a whisk.
- Once your oil has reached temperature dip each apple ring into the batter that has formed and carefully drop it into the hot oil. Depending on the size of your frying setup, don’t add too many at the same time or they will stick together. For a typical countertop electric fryer, you will only be able to add 3 at the same time.
- Turn apple slices over after 2 minutes to cook the other side, the apple slices will be cooking on the top.
- After 4 minutes of frying time remove each apple ring then allow it to drain on a paper towel. If they are not being eaten right away as you take them out they can be kept warm in the oven.
- Drop more into the oil.
- Take a small mixing bowl and add the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Mix together and dust the fried apple fritter rings.
- Serve warm.TIP: These apple fritter rings are delicious with caramel sauce – the type you use on ice cream. Ice cream would also probably taste really good with these fritters.