May 12, 2023Review Recipe
Lemon Meltaway Cookies
Table of Contents
These easy lemon meltaway cookies are like a burst of sunshine. A soft, buttery confection topped with a luscious lemony glaze that will melt in your mouth as soon as you take a bite.
For the best bright and refreshing citrusy treats, we can give you lots of ideas. Try our Lemon Sugar Cookies, Lemon Poke Cake, or our Lemon Lush, a southern-style dessert lasagna.
MORE COOKIES RECIPES:
Doubletree Cookies | Blueberry Cookies
LEMON MELTAWAY COOKIES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
FOR THE COOKIES
- 2 sticks (1 cup, 226 grams) salted butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Pro Tip: If you prefer, you could use lemon extract instead of zesting the lemons. The rule of thumb is ½ teaspoon of lemon extract per 1 teaspoon of zest.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Meyer Lemons: Meyer lemons have a slightly sweeter taste than regular lemons but can easily be used as a substitute in this recipe.
Fruit: Try using different fruits in place of the lemon. Other citrusy flavors such as orange or lime, or maybe even chocolate chips or peppermint would work well in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THIS LEMON MELTAWAY COOKIES RECIPE
FOR THE COOKIES
STEP ONE: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the butter and white sugar together. Add in the egg and continue mixing until combined. Stir in the lemon zest.
PRO TIP: When removing the zest from the lemons, be careful not to overdo it and get the white of the lemon, which can be very bitter. The zestiness is in just the yellow skin.
STEP TWO: Combine the flour and baking powder. Add it in batches to the wet ingredients.
STEP THREE: Taking about 2 teaspoons of the dough, shape it into a ball in your hands. Place each ball onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten just a bit.
PRO TIP: Pressing a little on each cookie dough ball will help the cookie not be too much like a ball unless you like it like that. They do melt pretty well, though, so don’t press too much.
STEP FOUR: Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 8 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack. Cool cookies completely before glazing.
FOR THE GLAZE
STEP ONE: In a small mixing bowl stir together the confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, and cream.
STEP TWO: Spoon glaze onto each cookie, spreading towards the edges and decorate the top with a bit of lemon zest. The glaze will take about 15 minutes to set.
HOW TO SERVE
These lemon meltaways would make a perfect afternoon snack with a cold glass of milk. Or, we can suggest several cold beverages such as our iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea on the side.
Or how about sharing them as part of a cookie exchange? Pair them with Blueberry Cookies and our Shortbread Cookies for a lovely trifecta of cookies to share.
ON THE COUNTER: Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep well for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: The cookie dough can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 3 months before baking.
THAWING: Once baked, the lemon cookies can be frozen without the glaze in a container or Ziploc bag for up to a month. Let thaw, and then add the glaze when you are ready to serve them.
These lemon meltaway cookies will be a treat as you bite into the sweet, soft cookie with a glaze that balances the sweetness of the sugar with the tart lemon. A delightful little cookie that is big on flavor, you can’t go wrong with these lovely meltaways.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Lemon Meltaway Cookies
- 2 sticks salted butter 1 cup, 226 grams
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 zest of lemon
- 2 cup all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 juice of lemon 2 tablespoons
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter and white sugar.
- Add the egg and continue to mix until combined.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Combine flour and baking powder and add it in batches to the wet ingredients until fully mixed.
- Take about 2 teaspoons of the dough and shape it into a ball in your hands.
- Place onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and flatten just a little.
- Bake for 8 minutes then remove from oven.
- After a few minutes, transfer to a wire cooling rack. Cookies will need to be completely cooled before glazing.
- In a small mixing bowl add the confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, and cream then stir until combined.
- Spoon a little onto each cookie, spreading toward the edges.TIP: The glaze will take about 15 minutes to set before eating.
- Decorate with a bit of lemon zest.
These are absolutely delicious and so pretty!
Sarah Fletcher says
Very tasty and beautiful. Simple recipe but a feast for the senses. Have officially added it to my Christmas cookie rotation.
So freaking good!
I veganized this recipe with egg replacer, oat milk, and vegan butter. Do 1:1 replacements (package instructions on egg replacer) and you’re in for a treat.
Is it heavy whipping cream?
Layne Kangas says
Hi, Charlotte – yes, enjoy!
These are very good my hubby enjoyed as well. Made mine with my Meyer lemons. I would have liked a little more lemon flavor but they are perfectly refreshing, especially for ones not lemon heads!
Penny Stilwell says
Excellent cookies! I added the zest but otherwise followed the recipe as is. Was a hit! Thank you for the recipe