August 17, 2021Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- This easy and fun homemade DIY Giant Bubbles solution is the perfect way to have fun with your family!
- Ingredients for Giant Bubbles
- How to Make Giant Bubbles
- Supplies for a Giant Bubble Wand
- How to Make a Giant Bubble Wand
- Plus, check out 25 Awesome Backyard Activities...
- Have you ever made giant bubbles before?
This easy and fun homemade DIY Giant Bubbles solution is the perfect way to have fun with your family!
I have to tell you: we had so much fun last weekend! Mike, Sam and I produced the world’s best, most magnificent, GIANT bubbles!
I felt like a superstar mom watching Sam giggle and play after we tried a new giant bubble recipe.
Even Mike and I marveled over the massive bubbles and huge rainbows our project produced.
Sam kept yelling, “giant bubbles!” with such delight that the neighbors noticed and joined in the fun as well. Even the adult neighbors were clapping and cheering. It was pretty cool.
We actually ended up mixing up several batches of the solution because we kept having more friends join in the fun.
This post was originally published in June 2014.
- Have fun making this Robot Bank with your kids.
- Plus, check out this fun DIY Lego Guy.
This would be the perfect idea to do at a backyard BBQ or graduation party.
Sometimes, days at home really are the best. Especially with some backyard magic with friends.
Want to thrill all the kids in your family and maybe even the neighbors? Make a batch of this recipe for giant bubbles and see what happens.
Seriously. Look at that giant bubble you guys!
We’re not talking about the little bottles of solution you get in the dollar bin at the store… we mean business with this DIY mixture.
Sam and I easily mixed up a batch of the bubble brew. I first saw a recipe for the bubbles on Happy Hooligans blog. Thanks, Jackie! 🙂
Without a doubt, this is a project is one that we will repeat often in the coming years.
Ingredients for Giant Bubbles
To create enormous bubbles at home, you’ll use the following:
- 6 Cups of water (tap water is OK, but distilled is best)
- ½ Cup of Blue Dawn Dish Detergent (original is supposed to be best but I did use ultra)
- ½ Cup of corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder (not baking soda)
- 1 Tablespoon of glycerin
How to Make Giant Bubbles
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Make sure to stir well!
- Gently add the other ingredients; you don’t want do make it frothy.
- Let the mix set for at least an hour, gently stirring occasionally when the cornstarch settles. We used a dishpan to hold everything and that worked well when we were dipping the wand in it.
Voila, you’re ready for action!
Because you can’t create giant bubbles without a little help, we also created our own DIY giant bubble wands.
A few simple household items transform into magic with a little imagination.
I followed more of the wand directions from Design Dazzle, although I changed ours somewhat.
Design Dazzle also has a cute idea for making this whole giant bubble thing into a kit for gifting. Genius if you ask me!
Supplies for a Giant Bubble Wand
You’ll gather just a few items to make these.
- 2 wood dowels, ours are each about 18″ long, ½” in diameter
- 2 eye screws to fit in the dowel ends
- 9″ cotton cord (you can get it from a fabric/sewing department)
How to Make a Giant Bubble Wand
Twist the eye screws into the dowel ends. Thread the cording through the eye screws and tie a knot so it makes one large circle.
You’re ready to go!
We quickly learned that the more you play with the bubble solution, the better the solution gets.
You also get better at figuring out how it works which means you can create even bigger bubbles.
Our neighbor’s 9-year-old daughter figured out that walking backwards produces longer bubbles. Super bubbles is an understatement.. I couldn’t believe how large some of the bubbles became that the kids were creating.
Mike also realized that if you bring the two dowels together you pinch off the massive bubbles and then they float up and away.
Another tip is that this works best on a day that isn’t too windy.
Look at his face! That happy smile makes me absolutely melt every time.
Needless to say, you’ve got to try this.
Even Sam — who at four-years-old — isn’t the most patient creature was successful at making his own giant bubbles.
This easy and awesome idea was so much fun for our whole family and even our whole neighborhood.
I’m confident you’ll love it as much as we did!