Biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole has layers of biscuits, sausage, eggs, cheese, and gravy to create a hearty brunch that the whole family will love. Easy to make and ideal to freeze, this cheesy biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole is the ideal breakfast to feed a crowd.
ingredients for Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 10 ounce package of refrigerated biscuit dough, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream or whole milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups of country gravy mix, packet will make 2 cups but you only want to use 1 1/2 cups.
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Biscuit Dough: If you can’t get ready-made biscuit dough where you live, take a look at our homemade biscuit recipe.
Heavy Cream: Whole milk will work just as well as heavy cream for this biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole recipe.
Cheddar Cheese: Any type of hard cheese can be used in place of Cheddar, so feel free to use Swiss, Monterey Jack, Colby or whatever you have in the fridge.
Breakfast Sausage: Breakfast sausage comes in patties, links or loose sausages and all are fine to use for this recipe. As an alternative, you could use Italian sausage, or make a vegetarian version of this casserole with meat-free sausages.
Country Gravy Mix: If you can’t get hold of country gravy mix you can easily make your own country gravy by whisking together 3 tablespoons of butter, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 1/2 cups of whole milk, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
Potato: Crispy potatoes would make a great addition to this sausage breakfast bake. Chop them into bite-sized pieces, boil until tender, and then fry alongside the onions.
Bacon: This would make a tasty addition to go alongside the sausage if you desire.
HOW TO MAKE A Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Grease a 9” x 13” baking pan. Layer the chopped biscuit dough on the bottom of pan.
STEP THREE: Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion and cook for about three minutes, until the onion is translucent.
STEP FOUR: Add the sausage and continue to cook until it is cooked through and no pink remains.
STEP FIVE: Drain the fat from the sausage and onions then layer them over the biscuits.
STEP SIX: Whisk together the cream, eggs, garlic powder, and oregano. Pour it over the sausage.
STEP SEVEN: Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the egg mixture.
STEP EIGHT: Prepare the gravy mix according to directions and pour one and a half cups over the cheese.
PRO TIP: Most packages of country gravy mix make two cups, so don’t use it all or your casserole will be too wet.
STEP NINE: Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until it’s bubbly and the eggs are cooked through.
STEP TEN: Serve warm.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store this pork biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole recipe in the fridge for two or three days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: Biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole freezes well for up to two months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven for 20 minutes before serving.
Biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole includes the best breakfast ingredients – sausage, eggs, biscuits, gravy and cheese. You could also add crispy potatoes and bacon to make this dish extra special. While this casserole is traditionally served for breakfast or brunch, there’s absolutely no reason why you couldn’t serve it for lunch or dinner as well.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 10 oz package refrigerated biscuit dough cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cup country gravy mix packet will make 2 cups but you only want to use 1 1/2 cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layer chopped biscuit dough on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet pan and add in the onion. Cook onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add in sausage and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Drain sausage and sprinkle it over the biscuits.
- Whisk together cream, eggs, garlic powder, and oregano then pour over sausage.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of egg mixture.
- Prepare gravy mix according to directions and pour 1 1/2 cups over cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and biscuits and eggs are cooked through.
- Serve warm.