September 18, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This easy crockpot breakfast casserole will have your stomach growling in anticipation. Loaded with delicious ingredients like hash browns, veggies, salty bacon, savory sausage, fluffy eggs, and melted cheese, it’s the perfect way to start your day.
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Imagine waking up to the irresistible aroma of a crockpot breakfast casserole that has been cooking overnight, enticing your taste buds as you eagerly take your first bite.
The rich, creamy blend of eggs, cheese, and butter melts in your mouth, as savory flavors of bacon, sausage, and soft vegetables mingle with every taste.
To make this breakfast recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 (28-ounce) package of frozen O’Brien hash browns
- 1 medium (1 cup) diced green pepper
- 1 medium (1 cup) diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup of diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 pound (2 cups) of cooked and crumbled mild breakfast sausage
- 1 pound (1¼ cups) of cooked and crumbled smoked bacon
- 3 cups of freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- ¾ cup of half and half
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
Substitutions And Additions
CHEESE: You can substitute pre-packaged shredded cheese for the freshly shredded cheese in this great recipe, but the pre-packaged shredded cheese is coated in a preservative to keep the cheese from sticking together.
This means it does not have the same creaminess as freshly shredded cheese.
SPICY: If you want a spicier egg casserole, you can use hot sausage instead of mild.
You can also add Tabasco sauce, a dash of red pepper flakes, or diced green chiles to the egg mixture in your breakfast crockpot casserole.
GROUND MEAT: If you are looking for a different option for the breakfast sausage, you could use regular ground sausage, turkey sausage, or Italian sausage in this easy breakfast casserole.
How To Make This Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
To make this recipe, you will layer the ingredients in your crockpot before scrambling the eggs, cream, and seasonings. That mixture is poured over all of the other ingredients, soaking into all the nooks and crannies.
Set the slow cooker to do its thing and forget about it until morning!
Follow our step-by-step instructions below to prepare this breakfast recipe the night before.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This breakfast casserole can be cooked overnight in your slow cooker so that it is ready when you wake up the next morning.
STEP ONE: Generously spray a 6 to 7-quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Spread the frozen hash brown potatoes in the bottom of the prepared crockpot.
It’s best to keep the potatoes frozen and add them right to your crockpot without thawing. Otherwise, they may cook faster than the rest of your ingredients and will end up mushy.
STEP THREE: Sprinkle the diced green and red peppers and the diced onion over the hash browns.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle the cooked sausage and cooked bacon over the diced vegetables.
STEP FIVE: Sprinkle the freshly shredded cheese over the meat layer.
STEP SIX: Add the 12 eggs, half and half, onion powder, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine completely.
STEP SEVEN: Pour the egg mixture over the cheese layer. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve while hot.
You can also cook this breakfast casserole on high for 4 to 6 hours.
How To Serve
Consider pairing your casserole with a refreshing fruit salad, bursting with juicy, ripe flavors that provide a contrast against the savory heartiness of the main dish.
Accompany this tasty breakfast with a perfectly steaming cup of coffee or even a citrusy mimosa.
This hearty breakfast casserole is also the perfect choice to make for Christmas morning.
Pop it into the slow cooker the night before, and you will have a warm and filling dish to enjoy the next day. Pair it with our cherry breakfast braid and homemade hot chocolate.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
We’ve got a few handy tips to storing this easy breakfast dish.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this slow cooker breakfast recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Once baked, this casserole can be frozen for up to two months.
You could also store leftovers in individual servings, each in an airtight container in the freezer, perfect to warm up on a busy morning.
The whole family will gobble up this classic crockpot breakfast casserole. Serve it on busy mornings or for a special treat. It’s quick to throw together and has easy cleanup since you add all of the ingredients right to the crockpot.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
O’Brien hash browns are frozen potatoes mixed with red peppers, green peppers, and onion. You can often find this mix in the freezer section of your grocery store.
You can prepare this great recipe to bake overnight. Put it on 8 hours before you anticipate breakfast time, and you will be all set.
This crockpot breakfast casserole with hashbrowns can be frozen. It will last in the freezer for up to two months.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Lasagna Casserole
- Chicken Casserole
- Amish Casserole
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Crispy Fried Potatoes
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Sausage and Peppers
- Raspberry Breakfast Braid
- Pull Apart Pigs in a Blanket
- Doritos Casserole
- 3 Ingredient Crock Pot Meals and Recipes
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Crockpot Meatloaf
- Donut Sandwich
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- 28 ounces O’Brien hash browns
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound mild breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 pound smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled (1¼ cups)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 12 large eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Generously spray a 6 to 7-quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the frozen hash browns in the bottom of the prepared crockpot.
- Sprinkle the green and red diced bell peppers and the diced onion over the hash browns.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage and cooked bacon over the diced vegetables.
- Sprinkle the freshly shredded cheese over the meat layer.
- Add the 12 eggs, half and half, onion powder, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine completely.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese layer. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve while hot.
- This breakfast casserole can be cooked overnight in your slow cooker so that it is ready when you wake up the next morning.
- It’s best to keep the potatoes frozen and add them right to your crockpot without thawing. Otherwise, they may cook faster than the rest of your ingredients and will end up mushy.
- You can also cook this breakfast casserole on high for 4 to 6 hours.