September 21, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
If you are looking for something utterly indulgent and delicious, this strawberry heaven on earth cake will be a winner. Layers of moist angel food cake, creamy vanilla pudding, strawberry pie filling, and whipped cream create an unforgettable dessert that comes together in minutes.
Strawberry Heaven on Earth Cake Ingredients
- 1 (10-ounce) premade angel food cake, or a boxed angel food cake mix prepared according to box directions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (21-ounce) can of strawberry pie filling
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1⅔ cups cold whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) tub Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
PIE FILLING: Instead of strawberry pie filling, you could choose from so many other great flavors of fruit filling. Try raspberry, blueberry, cherry, or even lemon. How about trying apple pie filling in the fall?
NUTS: You can sprinkle thinly sliced almonds or any other type of chopped nut on top of the cake.
CAKE: You could swap out the plain angel food cake for pound cake, chocolate cake, vanilla sponge cake, or even brownies. You can even make homemade angel food cake if you have a tried and true recipe you prefer.
PUDDING: If you are changing up the filling or cake, you could also pick different pudding flavors. The sky’s the limit with this cake!
COOL WHIP: If you prefer homemade whipped cream, it will work fine in place of the Cool Whip.
SOUR CREAM: If you prefer, you could also substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream in this recipe.
ALCOHOL: If you are serving this cake to adults, you could soak the cake cubes in sherry or wine first for a grown-up version.
How to Make This Strawberry Heaven on Earth Cake Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you are baking the cake yourself for this recipe, make sure to let it cool to room temperature before cutting it so that it doesn’t make the other ingredients too warm.
STEP ONE: Lightly spray a 9×9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: Layer half of the cubed angel food cake on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
The best knife to use when cutting angel food cake is one with a serrated blade, it will cut the cake easier, and you won’t lose the airy, fluffy texture of the cake.
STEP THREE: Evenly spread ⅔ of the strawberry pie filling on top of the cubed angel food cake.
STEP FOUR: Layer the remaining cubed cake on top of the pie filling.
STEP FIVE: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the cold milk and the sour cream until the mixture is well incorporated and no lumps are visible.
STEP SIX: Whisk in the instant pudding mix and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and just beginning to thicken.
STEP SEVEN: Evenly spread the pudding layer over the top of the angel food cake cubes.
STEP EIGHT: Using an offset spatula, spread the thawed whipped topping in an even layer.
STEP NINE: Spoon the remaining pie filling in dollops across the whipped topping. Using a butter knife, gently swirl the pie filling.
STEP TEN: Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. Keep the cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
You can allow the cake to chill in the fridge for as little as 5 hours, but 8 hours to overnight lets the layers of angel food cake absorb all the pudding mixture and pie filling.
How To Serve
Enjoy a creamy serving of this strawberry heaven on earth cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Scoop it onto a plate or into bowls and add fresh berries or other fresh fruits and another dollop of whipped cream on top.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this easy heaven on earth cake with strawberry filling tightly covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing this amazing cake recipe.
Delicious layers of angel cake, sweet strawberry pie filling, and creamy pudding come together to create this heavenly dessert that takes no time at all to make. The hardest part is giving it time to hang out in the fridge to chill.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We don’t recommend freezing this heaven on earth strawberry cake as the consistency would change upon thawing. Since it takes such little time to whip up, plan to make it from scratch right before you are ready to use it.
This recipe needs to sit in the fridge for several hours to soak in all the yummy flavors so it is best to make it the day before serving.
You’ll know your angel food cake is done when a toothpick or butter knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Make sure you read the directions on the boxed cake to determine the accurate baking time when you are using an angel food cake pan for your cake.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Strawberry Shortcake Brownies
- Heaven on Earth Cake
- No Bake Oreo Pie
- Easy Peach Dump Cake
- Earthquake Cake
- Vanilla Crazy Cake
- Strawberry Dump Cake
- Raspberry Pie
- Angel Food Cake and Pineapple
- Raspberry Lasagna
- Strawberry Angel Food Cake
- Peach Cobbler Pound Cake
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies
- Cream Cheese Brownie Recipe
- Vanilla Trifle
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry Cobbler
Strawberry Heaven on Earth Cake
- 10 ounces premade angel food cake, or a boxed angel food cake mix prepared according to box directions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 21 ounces strawberry pie filling
- 3.4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⅔ cups cold whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Lightly spray a 9×9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Layer half of the cubed angel food cake on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly spread ⅔ of the strawberry pie filling on top of the cubed angel food cake.
- Layer the remaining angel food cake cubes on top of the strawberry pie filling.
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the cold milk and the sour cream until the mixture is well incorporated and no lumps are visible.
- Whisk in the instant pudding mix and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and just beginning to thicken.
- Evenly spread the milk mixture over the top of the angel food cake cubes.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread the thawed whipped topping.
- Spoon the remaining strawberry pie filling in dollops across the whipped topping. Using a butter knife, gently swirl the pie filling.
- Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. Keep the cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve.