This post is really about a delicious coleslaw recipe. I love the tang of a good coleslaw and this one has it. But I can’t pass up the opportunity to point out the super benefits of eating cabbage. So if the slaw alone doesn’t entice you to add it to your recipe repertoire, the perks of cabbage will certainly grab your attention. You might call this “Ode to a Cabbage”.
- Dig into this Summer Cobb Salad for a great dinner idea.
- Change up the dinner routine with these Chicken Parmesan Burgers.
According to my highly scientific research (aka google cabbage), the humble cabbage is a treasure trove of good-for-you nutrition. It’s rich in several phytonutrients and vitamins like A, C and K (it’s actually richer in Vitamin C than oranges).
The antioxidants in cabbage scavenge free radicals, which can be detrimental to overall health and cause premature aging.
Eating cabbage might reduce the effects of allergies, inflammation, and joint pain. Cabbage also has several anti-cancer compounds.
Since cabbage is a bountiful source of beta-carotene (as are carrots), it is supportive of good eye health. It’s rich in sulfur so it helps fight infections in wounds, too.
Cabbage is high in fiber but low in calories—it provides nearly 15 percent of daily recommended dietary fiber.
This is not an exhaustive list but, like me, I bet you’re ready to include more cabbage in your diet.
So try this coleslaw. Not only does it taste great as an accompaniment to a meal, it makes a delicious topper for a sandwich. One of my favorite sandwich combos is barbecue beef with a generous spoonful of this coleslaw—yummy.
Move over Peter Rabbit—that cabbage is mine!
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 2 chopped green onions
- In a large bowl, toss the coleslaw mix with shredded carrots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, sugar, parsley and green onions.
- Toss dressing with mix and refrigerate until serving.
Create an amazing dish with help from these great ideas gathered by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams:
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Wilton 2105-459 Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Curva Artisan Series Double Wall Beverage Glasses and Tumblers
- Oggi Melamine Ribbed 6 Piece Mixing Bowl Set in assorted colors
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Artisan (2 pk.) Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set
- The New York Baking Company | 24-pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel
- Premium Nonstick 21 Pcs Baking Pans
- Onesource 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton 2105-2174 Mini Springform Pan
- Wilton 409-7716 Angled Icing Spatula
- Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan
Check out more great recipes:
Don’t miss this Elbow Macaroni Salad…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Melodee is a mom of two energetic and independent boys who fuel her need for coffee. She is a foodie who loves creating and photography so has combined her passions to share with the world. When she’s not behind the camera, she’s giving piggy back rides, building car tracks or running to Target…again.