Let’s Get Buggy—A Boy’s Bug Themed 3rd Birthday Party
Does your son love bugs? The guest of honor at this boy’s bug themed 3rd birthday, planned by Kamille Martin and Michelle Betts of BettsMade, sure does! Crawl…or fly…with us into the wonderful world of bugs as we explore the creative details of this party that will literally make you bug-eyed! Photographer Katie Norrid captured the creative food, birthday cake, party decorations, and clever party activities and favors.
- Check out these unique bug themed birthday supplies.
- You’ll go bug-eyed over these 20 bug themed birthday ideas.
Creative bug themed invitations were sent to guests with the cutest wording: “Calling all insects, big or small…Buzz, hop, flutter or crawl…to celebrate Gray turning 3!” Aren’t the invitations a great foreshadowing of the “bugtastic” time to come?
Held at The Crossing, Kamille and Michelle added simple touches of party décor throughout the venue. Clusters of orange and green balloons were paired with handmade, Styrofoam bug centerpieces to reinforce the theme.
Kamille and Michelle put together 6 bug-centric stations to keep party guests buzzing with excitement. They included:
1. Bug boxes
2. Digging for bugs
3. Photo booth
4. Bug spray (silly string)
5. Lady bug bean bag toss
6. Bug tattoos
Kids would love being able to dig for plastic bugs to put in their bug boxes!
And, how cute is that lady bug bean bag toss? Such a fun theme coordinating idea!
The guest of honor’s favorite activity was the “bug spray” station. Who wouldn’t love going crazy spraying silly string?
After bugging out over the cool activity stations, kids worked up an appetite. BettsMade styled an adorable refreshment station, signified by a printable banner spelling out “Gray’s Bug Grub”. I love the tables that appeared to come straight from a bug’s world! Tables were covered in brown tablecloths and faux spider webs. A large #3 was covered in moss and accented with a giant bug—a great way to tie the 3rd birthday and bug theme together. The refreshment station was surrounded by plants and trees, really bringing in an outdoor vibe. Moss and grass were used as a natural table runner and provided a great spot to nestle food selections.
Caterer Kinsey McCutchen helped fill the table with kid-friendly items like pretzels and rolled tortilla sandwiches, made with inspired names like “stick bugs” and “snails”.
Cheetos became “butterfly cocoons”, while Fruit Roll-Ups were “fly catchers”.
Grapes and strawberries were nicknamed “caterpillars” and “lady bugs”.
A gooey concoction of chocolate pudding, Oreos and gummy worms was labeled “worm dirt”.
Michelle’s bug cake was a perfect centerpiece! What a brilliant idea to use round chocolate candies and frosting to make edible bugs! That’s just the kind of touch kids love!
A beverage station was also decked out in spider webs and brown table coverings. Bright orange and lime green pennant flags added birthday flair.
Fly water and beetle juice were the beverages of the day.
In lieu of gifts, school supplies were donated to give to children in need. What a thoughtful gesture!
After a busy time of bugging out and celebrating, guests fluttered home with colorful bug boxes they received at the activity stations. What a fun take home favor that will provide hours of bug exploration and collecting!
This little guy’s more cute-than-creepy bug themed 3rd birthday party was loaded with so many creative ideas, perfect for your bug-loving little boys!
Looking for party supplies for your boy’s bug birthday party? We think you’ll love these party sources put together by the Spaceships and Laser Beams crew.
- BUG Insect PARTY Table Decor/page/12 Beverage Straws/16 LUNCHEON NAPKINS/25′ Party TAPE Streamers
- SALE Birthday Bugs Hanging Cutouts SALE
- Darice 1029-03 16-Piece Plastic Insects, 2-Inch
- Bug Eyed Insects Birthday Party Supplies Set Plates Napkins Cups Kit for 16
- SEOH Petri Dish 100 x 15Mm 20/Pk
- Albanese Assorted Mini Fruit Worms 2-Inch, 5-Pounds
- Plastic Magnifying Glasses (1 dz)
- SALE Birthday Bugs Stringer SALE
- Realistic Gummy Bugs – Candy & Goodies – 454G
- 3 Bug Mylar Balloons – A Spider, a Bee and a Cricket – Party Decor
- Fox Run 5 Piece Insect Cookie Cutter Set
- Beistle 57161 2-Pack Packaged Tissue Grass MatsParty Decoration, 15 by 30-Inch
- 3 Plastic Ants Cake Toppers
- Mini Plastic Toy Ants 1 1/2″ (Approx 72 Pcs)
- Bugs Sugar Decorations Cookie Cupcake Cake 12 Count
- Leaf Collage Recycled Paper Bag – Package of 5
- 100 Natural Kraft Merchandise Bags, 5″x7-1/2″, No Gusset
- Bark Textured Glass Serving Bowl
- Bark Textured Glass Serving Dish
- Durable Glass Beverage Dispenser with Spigot and Stand 1.5 Gallons
Be sure to check out more bug birthday ideas here:
Take a peek at these 20 Bug Themed Birthday Parties
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week