July 19, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This is hands-down the best egg salad sandwich recipe in the world. Cheddar, cream cheese, and bacon combine to create the most delectable sandwich that is quick to put together for lunch or an easy dinner.
Egg Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of chives
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar
- 6 croissants
- Lettuce or spinach, optional sandwich topping
Substitutions And Additions
MAYONNAISE: Use your favorite brand of mayonnaise (or homemade) unless you’re just not a fan. Then my suggestion is to substitute plain Greek yogurt in the creamy dressing.
AVOCADO: Slice it or dice it; avocado adds something wonderful to an egg salad sandwich.
BACON: Bacon makes the world go ‘round. Especially when it is crisp. However, it can be omitted if you really insist!
RELISH: A couple of teaspoons of sweet pickle relish adds magic to this great recipe. If you prefer pickles with less sweetness, add chopped dill pickles instead for added crunch (or eat it alongside our dill pickle pasta salad).
CHIVES: Green onions would add a similar flavor to chives in this recipe.
ONION: I like to add a bit of red onion to my egg salad. It adds a nice tanginess and a little crunch to the mixture.
BREAD: Any kind of bread will work well for this simple recipe. Sandwich bread, a buttery croissant, or rye bread would all be great ideas. If you want to make fresh homemade white bread for this yummy sandwich, I’d highly recommend it.
EGG SALAD WRAP: Substitute a flour tortilla (wheat or spelt) for bread. Spring roll wrappers are awesome, too. Or go the veggie route: wrap the egg salad in romaine lettuce leaves, kale, or collard greens.
EGG WHITE SALAD: Want to nix the yolk? Simply make egg white salad instead. Might I suggest adding sliced black olives and avocado if you do? Yum!
How To Make This Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Hard-boiled eggs in their shell will last in the fridge for about a week. Peeled eggs will last about 2 days so if you are making this recipe to eat right away, you can make your eggs ahead of time to save a bit of prep time once you are ready to make your egg salad.
STEP ONE: In a small bowl, mash together the cream cheese, mayo, chives, salt, and pepper.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, use a pastry cutter or fork to mash up eggs into small pieces. Finely chop the bacon and add to the eggs.
A potato masher works well if you don’t have a pastry cutter to mash up your eggs.
STEP THREE: Add the shredded cheddar and cream cheese mixture to the eggs and bacon. Mix together until everything is mixed really well and the eggs are covered in cream cheese.
STEP FOUR: Serve the egg salad filling on croissants with spinach or a piece of lettuce.
For an extra yummy option, toast your bread before adding the egg mixture.
How To Serve
Egg salad sandwiches are such a classic option for lunch. Add a spoonful of pasta salad or even just a handful of potato chips to your plate for a delicious lunch. Serve with our iced tea or our southern strawberry sweet tea on the side.
IN THE FRIDGE: I think completely cooled egg salad tastes the best. In an airtight container (and without the bread, wraps, etc.), egg salad can be kept in the fridge for about three days. If you can restrain yourself.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing egg salad. The texture will change once thawed.
This delicious egg salad sandwich recipe has a secret ingredient that makes it over-the-top amazing and probably the best egg salad recipe around. Adding bacon to the egg salad mixture makes it next-level delicious. Cheddar and cream cheese play a supporting role in the extra ingredients game for a great egg salad recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a method that we have had plenty of success with:
1. Boil about a half-inch to an inch of water (whichever amount would barely come through your steamer insert).
2. Place eggs cold from the fridge in a single layer into a steamer insert and set the steamer in the boiling water.
3. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes. I go with the greater time because I do not like soft yolks.
4. Turn off the burner but let the pan and eggs sit there for about 15 minutes.
5. Plunge eggs into an ice bath.
6. Crack the eggshells, easily peel the eggs, and proceed with your recipe.
Egg salad lasts in the fridge for about 3 days, so I would recommend making it no more than a couple of days in advance.
Adding a piece of lettuce between the bread and egg salad will help make sure your bread doesn’t end up a soggy mess.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Easy Deviled Egg Recipe
- Chicken Salad
- Egg Bites
- Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak
- Ham Glaze Recipe
- Bacon Avocado Sandwich
- Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Tuna Salad
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Chicken Tortilla Roll Ups
- Cucumber Salad
- Campfire Scrambled Eggs
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Reuben Sandwich
- Egg Pasta Salad
- Cowboy Pasta Salad
- Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Steak Grilled Cheese
- Refrigerator Pickles
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Caprese Pasta Salad
Egg Salad Sandwich
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 pieces cooked bacon
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- 6 croissants
- In a small bowl, mash together the cream cheese, mayo, chives, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, use a pastry cutter to mash up eggs. Finely chop the bacon and add it to the eggs.
- Add the shredded cheddar and cream cheese mixture to eggs and bacon. Mix together until everything is mixed really well and the eggs are covered in cream cheese.
- Serve on croissants with spinach.
- For a different flavor experience, try adding avocado or relish to your egg salad.
- Hard-boiled eggs in their shell will last in the fridge for about a week. Peeled eggs will last about 2 days so if you are making this recipe to eat right away, you can make your eggs ahead of time to save a bit of prep time once you are ready to make your egg salad.
- A potato masher works well if you don’t have a pastry cutter to mash up your eggs.
- For an extra yummy option, toast your croissant or bread before adding the egg mixture.