Last updated on
Table of Contents
Salty, buttery Ritz crackers are a favorite in my house, so when I heard about coating chicken in crushed Ritz, I had to try it! Let me tell you – it’s delicious! This Ritz cracker chicken is made by coating boneless chicken breasts in the rich, buttery crackers and spices and then baked in the oven. They came out golden brown with a crispy crust and the chicken stayed tender and juicy.
RITZ CRACKER CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups crushed Ritz Crackers, about 50 crackers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, about 2 pounds total
- ½ cup butter, melted
PRO TIP: To crush the Ritz crackers quickly and easily, put them in a large ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to turn them into cracker crumbs.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
ONION POWDER: You can use onion flakes as a substitute for onion powder. Use a 1:1 ratio.
CHICKEN BREASTS: Use chicken thighs instead of breasts as a great substitute. Some people like dark meat better than white, and they cook up juicy too.
CHEESE: Cheese is always a great addition to any recipe. There are a couple of different ways to incorporate cheese in this recipe. You could add parmesan cheese to your spice/crumb mixture or you could sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the chicken at the end of baking for a gooey melted topper.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RITZ CRACKER CHICKEN RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: In a medium shallow bowl or a pie plate, whisk together the egg and milk. Set it aside.
PRO TIP: You can whisk the egg and milk with a fork instead of a whisk.
STEP THREE: Get another pie plate or shallow bowl and gently mix together the Ritz cracker crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, and poultry seasoning.
PRO TIP: You can mix it up by using different spices in the crumb mixture. Italian seasoning works very well.
STEP FOUR: One at a time, dip chicken pieces into the egg mixture and dredge them in the crumb mixture, making sure to thoroughly coat each piece. Then place the coated chicken in a prepared casserole dish.
PRO TIP: After putting the chicken into the baking dish you can sprinkle a little more of the crumb mixture on top before drizzling the butter over it if you want a thicker crumb coating.
STEP FIVE: Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the chicken. Bake it for 40 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink inside or a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165°F.
HOW TO SERVE
Ritz chicken would be yummy served alongside classic side dishes such as green beans and mashed potatoes. If you love to grill, you could also choose a couple of grilled side dishes such as our bacon-wrapped corn or grilled potatoes. If you have little people that must dip all of their chicken, try our copycat Chick fil A sauce.
IN THE FRIDGE: Allow the leftover chicken to cool before placing them in an airtight container and storing them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: This chicken dish can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer bag. The chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before eating and then reheat it in the oven at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
This Ritz Cracker Chicken is comfort food at its best and is so easy to prepare. This delicious chicken recipe cooks up tender and moist with a crispy, buttery crust. It will be a guaranteed family favorite!
If you don’t have Ritz crackers on hand, you could substitute them with saltine crackers. The result may not have quite the rich buttery taste that the Ritz crackers have but the crunch and seasoned flavor will still be delicious!
This easy chicken recipe freezes well in an airtight container for up to three months.
Chicken thighs will work just as well in this delicious recipe.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Ritz Cracker Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups crushed ritz crackers about 50 ritz crackers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless (about 2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium shallow bowl or pie plate, mix together the egg and the milk. Set aside.
- In another pie plate or shallow bowl gently whisk together the cracker crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- One at a time, dip the chicken pieces into the egg mixture, dredge them in the crumb mixture, making sure to thoroughly coat each piece, then place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the chicken. Bake for 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, and a meat thermometer reads 165°F.