This super easy ice cream cake is one of the best frozen desserts to enjoy in the summer! Simple and quick to prepare, this ice cream cake recipe features layers of pound cake, ice cream, and favorite toppings like caramel and chocolate.
If you’re looking for more popular recipes to enjoy, you’ll want to make our chocolate lasagna, which is another cool and creamy favorite. You’ll also like our no bake key lime pie and strawberry jello pie! In addition, our peach cobbler is summertime favorite I think you’ll enjoy.
Ice Cream Cake
This simple, delicious ice cream cake is a favorite around our house during the summer. It’s a quick and easy must-make dessert. It looks fancy but is super easy to make in only minutes.
The flavors are so good: you layer vanilla pound cake with chocolate ice cream for the filling.
We like to use three different flavors of ice cream for this ice cream cake recipe. Our favorites are chocolate brownie, cookies and cream, and French vanilla.
You can definitely mix and match flavors to your family’s preferences. It’s also yummy with mint chocolate chip or cookie dough ice cream!
Then for toppings, you can go basic or get really creative. I love using candy shell, Oreo cookies, candies, or caramel. Of course, my boys love to help make it so sometimes the toppings can get a little wild.
It’s served frozen and offers the best cool and creamy texture to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.
Ice Cream Cake Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 16-ounce frozen pound cake
- 3 cups ice cream
- 1/3 8-ounce bag Mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
- 1/2 cup M&M’s
- 8 Oreo cookies
- chocolate candy shell
How to Make An Ice Cream Cake
Once you have your ingredients, you’re ready to begin!
To start, remove the pound cake from the foil pan and cut it into three even layers.
Next, line the foil pan with enough plastic wrap to cover all four sides. This helps make it easier to cover and remove from the pan later for slicing and serving.
Place one layer of pound cake in the bottom of the pan and cover with one cup of ice cream. Sprinkle with some candy.
Repeat the layers, alternating cake, and ice cream. After the last layer of ice cream, you’ll use the chocolate shell topping. Before it hardens, you can add any additional candies or cookies you’d like.
How to Freeze
Pop into the freezer, uncovered for about five minutes so that the chocolate candy shell and ice cream harden back up a little. Then, wrap tightly and store in the freezer until it’s time to serve. You’ll need to freeze it about 4-6 hours.
How to Serve
Once you’re ready to eat it, remove from the freezer, and gently pull on the plastic wrap to lift the ice cream cake out of the pan.
You can use a warm knife to quickly and easily slice through the ice cream and cake layers.
You’ll want to serve immediately so it doesn’t melt before your guests can enjoy. My kids love to serve with whipped cream on top as well.
I hope your family enjoys this easy ice cream cake together soon — it’s fun to make and so delicious to eat!
More Desserts You’ll Love:
More Cake Recipes:
Ice Cream Cake
- 1 16- ounce frozen pound cake
- 3 cups ice cream 1 cup each of different flavors
- 1/3 8 ounce bag Mini Reese's peanut butter cups
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- 8 cookies Oreo cookies
- chocolate candy shell
- Remove the pound cake from the foil pan and cut into 3 even layers.
- Line the foil pan with enough plastic wrap to go over all 4 sides.
- Place one layer of pound cake in the bottom of the pan and cover with 1 cup of ice cream. Sprinkle with candy.
- Repeat the layers and then top the last layer of ice cream with the chocolate shell topping.
- Before the shell completely hardens, sprinkle with additional candy and cookies.
- Place in the freezer UNCOVERED for about 5 minutes to quickly harden the shell and ice cream a bit.
- Then, wrap up tightly and store in the freezer until ready to serve - approximately 4-6 hours.
- Once you're ready to eat it, remove from the freezer and pull gently on the plastic wrap to lift the ice cream cake out of the pan. Use a warm knife to quickly and easily slice through the ice cream and cake layers.