October 23, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This easy baked ziti is the best family dinner recipe around and results in a delicious and comforting Italian-style meal. It is a classic pasta dish that is loaded with flavorful seasoned meat, rich sauce, and ooey-gooey melted cheese.
Baked Ziti Pasta Ingredients
- 1 (16-ounce) box of ziti
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 (24-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce (or use this homemade tomato sauce recipe)
- 1 (8-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 15 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese, divided into 1 cup and ½ cup
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
Substitutions And Additions
CHEESE: In addition to the ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, you might try adding Romano, provolone, fontina, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, or even cream cheese in this classic recipe.
VEGETABLES: Some like adding healthy veggies to this dish. The tomato pasta sauce does do something wonderful for fresh spinach, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes, or Portobello mushrooms.
GROUND MEAT: You could also use Italian sausage, ground turkey, or ground pork in the meat sauce if you prefer.
SPICE: Spice up this pasta bake with a dash of red pepper flakes along with the oregano.
PASTA: In place of the ziti pasta, you can choose any other tubed pasta. Penne pasta or rigatoni are both great choices.
How To Make This Easy Baked Ziti Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Cook ziti noodles to al dente in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Adding a pinch of salt enhances the flavor of the pasta.
STEP THREE: In a large skillet on medium heat, cook beef, onion, and garlic until the beef is browned.
STEP FOUR: Stir in the sauces and oregano and heat until the mixture starts to boil.
STEP FIVE: Combine 1 cup of the beef and sauce mixture with the cooked ziti.
STEP SIX: Spoon half of the ziti mixture into the large baking dish.
STEP SEVEN: Top with ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella, and 1 cup of sauce.
STEP EIGHT: Spoon in the rest of the ziti mixture and top with the rest of the sauce.
STEP NINE: Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Cover with foil for the first twenty minutes to give the final dish a luscious creaminess and also makes the casserole dish easier to clean.
Removing the foil in the final ten minutes browns things just enough. If you prefer a crustier top, simply forego the aluminum foil.
STEP TEN: Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and the remaining mozzarella.
STEP ELEVEN: Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
If you want to brown your cheese slightly, you can turn your broiler on for the last minute of melting the cheese. Make sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
What To Serve With This Ziti Bake
While this great dish is baking, you’ll have time to make this simple Caesar salad.
Finish it off with this super easy blueberry cobbler for dessert!
MORE PASTA RECIPES
How To Store This Recipe For Baked Ziti
IN THE FRIDGE: This baked ziti can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. You can reheat it in the oven or microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: That is another reason why I absolutely love baked ziti. It freezes so well and makes it very easy to have on a later date.
Cover with foil and throw it in the freezer. It is best if eaten within about 3 months.
You’ll Love This Recipe For Baked Ziti
Add this baked ziti recipe to your dinner menu repertoire. The simple ingredients are easy to keep on hand for busy nights. Layers of pasta, meaty tomato sauce, and plenty of cheese will be a hit with your whole family.
Easy Baked Ziti Recipe FAQ
This is an easy dish to prepare ahead of time and bake later. Cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to pop it in the oven.
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done.
When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
There are a few reasons your baked pasta dish is dry. First, there may not be enough sauce in the dish. Second, the noodles aren’t cooked until just al dente and end up overcooking while baking. Third, the noodles aren’t thoroughly and evenly coated with sauce. Finally, the edges of the noodles are exposed and may dry out.
Baked ziti is a delicious pasta dish using ziti pasta combined with a meat sauce and cheese. Everything is combined in a casserole dish and baked until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
You will cook your baked ziti for 30 minutes in the oven.
You will cover the casserole dish for the first twenty minutes of baking. Bake uncovered for the last 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Best Ever Goulash
- Baked Tortellini
- Lasagna Recipe
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- Cowboy Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cowboy Pasta Salad
- Crockpot Baked Ziti
- Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
- Taco Bake
- Baked Ziti with Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Stuffed Ziti Fritta
- Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Cajun Pasta
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Everything Bagel Pasta
- Sloppy Joes
- Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Homemade Meatballs
- Mushroom Cream Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Stove Top Meatloaf
Recipe for Baked Ziti
- 16 ounces ziti
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, divided into 1 cup and ½ cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook ziti and set aside.
- On medium heat, cook beef, onion, and garlic until beef is browned.
- Stir in sauces and oregano, and keep on heat until the mixture starts to boil.
- Combine 1 cup of the beef and sauce mixture with the cooked ziti.
- Spoon in ½ of the ziti mixture into a large baking dish.
- Top with ricotta and 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup of sauce.
- Spoon in the rest of the ziti mixture and top with the rest of the sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Adding a pinch of salt enhances the flavor of the pasta.
- Cover with foil for the first twenty minutes to give the final dish a luscious creaminess and also makes the casserole dish easier to clean. Removing the foil in the final ten minutes browns things just enough. If you prefer a crustier top, simply forego the aluminum foil.
- If you want to brown your cheese slightly, you can turn your broiler on for the last minute of melting the cheese. Make sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.