May 25, 2023Review Recipe
Creamy Garlic Pasta
Table of Contents
This creamy garlic pasta is a quick weeknight favorite that’s ready in 20 minutes. It’s made with a white pasta sauce that’s deliciously creamy, buttery, and full of garlic flavor.
Creamy Garlic Pasta Ingredients
If you’re a fan of garlic and rich cream sauces, then creamy garlic pasta is sure to delight your taste buds.
With every bite, you can expect to experience the perfect balance of savory garlic, velvety cream, and perfectly cooked pasta.
The creaminess of the sauce is perfectly complemented by the bold flavor of garlic, making it a dish that is both indulgent and satisfying.
- 1 (16-ounce) box of penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon of salt, for pasta water
- 1 cup of water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
- 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of flour
Substitutions And Additions
CHICKEN: Add shredded chicken to turn this great recipe into a pasta and chicken dinner. Stir in 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts as the last step of the recipe.
LEMON: Add a little lemon juice to bring some fresh acidity to this dish. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon to your creamy pasta sauce at the same time as you add your chicken broth.
PASTA: Penne is our go-to pasta for this easy recipe because it holds the sauce well, but you could substitute any other medium-sized pasta or a flat alternative like fettuccine.
How To Make This Creamy Garlic Pasta Recipe
The rich garlic sauce comes together in a flash on the stovetop while the pasta noodles are cooking. Top the noodles with the creamy sauce and dig in.
STEP ONE: Cook the penne pasta in a large pot until al dente according to package instructions, making sure to add 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt to the water. Once done, drain the pasta and put it back into the large pot.
Most brands of penne pasta cook for about 14 minutes.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, add 1 cup of water. Drop in the bouillon cube. Put it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high heat. Be careful, as the edges of the bowl will be hot. Set aside.
STEP THREE: In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chunks of cream cheese, minced garlic, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Whisk together. The mixture will be clumpy and very buttery.
STEP FOUR: Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and parmesan cheese. Whisk together and turn the heat to medium, bringing the pan to a low boil. The sauce will still be somewhat lumpy at this point. Don’t worry, it will smooth out once it is done cooking.
To help make your sauce extra creamy, allow your parmesan cheese to come to room temperature before adding it to the sauce.
STEP FIVE: In a small bowl, add 5 tablespoons of sauce and 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix well with a spoon. Add the flour sauce mixture and whisk well.
Adding the flour will help to thicken up the sauce to the perfect texture.
STEP SIX: Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes, and continue to whisk frequently while simmering.
STEP SEVEN: Once the sauce is done, pour the creamy garlic sauce over the cooked pasta, stir well, and serve.
How To Serve This Garlic Cheese Pasta
This creamy garlic penne pasta would make the perfect main dish served along with a side salad such as our simple Caesar salad and buttery garlic bread. The whole family is sure to gobble it up!
If you’re looking for something heartier, roasted vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower make for an excellent complement.
For nights when you’re short on time, check out our 20 Minute one pot pasta and bacon pasta. Both are quick weeknight pasta favorites.
IN THE FRIDGE: This simple pasta dish will stay good in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Be sure to let it cool before storing it, and keep it in an airtight container.
IN THE FREEZER: If you plan to freeze your creamy garlic pasta, undercook your noodles slightly so that they don’t become too soggy during the freezing process. You can freeze your leftovers for up to 3 months in an airtight container. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw the pasta and then reheat it in a pan on your stovetop.
Loaded with delicious garlic flavor from the garlic cream sauce that coats tender penne pasta, this creamy garlic pasta will become one of your go-to recipes for an easy weeknight dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can freeze the leftovers of this creamy garlic parmesan pasta, but keep in mind that the creamy texture may be affected by freezing. It will last up to three months in the freezer.
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done. When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
This creamy pasta recipe will work well with any type of pasta that you enjoy. Long or short pasta shapes will both work.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Lasagna Casserole
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Baked Spaghetti
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Carbonara Pasta
- Crockpot Swedish Meatballs
- Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Creamy Italian Chicken (with Pasta)
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Chicken Parmesan
- Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Peanut Noodles
- Creamy Bowtie Pasta
- Popcorn Chicken
- Beer Marinated Chicken
Creamy Garlic Pasta
- 16 ounces penne pasta, 1 box
- ½ teaspoon salt for the pasta water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces salted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cook penne pasta in a large pot per package directions, making sure to add ½ teaspoon of salt to the water (cook time is about 14 minutes). Once done, drain the pasta and put it back in the large pot.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of water. Drop in the bouillon cube. Put in the microwave for 2 minutes on high heat. Be careful, the edges of the bowl will be hot. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chunks of cream cheese, minced garlic, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and parmesan cheese. Whisk together and turn heat to medium, to a low boil.
- In a small bowl, add 5 tablespoons of sauce and 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix well with a spoon. Add the flour and sauce mixture back to the pan and whisk well.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes, continue to whisk frequently while simmering.
- Once the sauce is done pour over the noodles, stir well, and serve.
- Most brands of penne pasta cook for about 14 minutes.
- To help make your sauce extra creamy, allow your parmesan cheese to come to room temperature before adding it to the sauce.
- Adding the flour will help to thicken up the sauce to the perfect texture.
- Sauce will be lumpy while cooking, but will smooth out towards the end!
It was very good and had a great taste to it. My family loved it!!