Gingerbread Cookie Recipe + Free Printable Gift Tags
Who’s up for some holiday baking? Who’s up for some holiday taste testing? I’m raising both of my hands!
Of all the culinary treats there are, I think “cookie” might be my favorite. There’s such a variety of tastes; they can be soft or crunchy; they’re hand-held for easy noshing. You can enjoy them all by yourself with milk, coffee or tea, but party guests are always glad to see a platter full of the sweet orbs on the dessert table too. Cookies are like small invitations to fun times! Plus them up with decorations or leave them plain. Add to that impressive resume that cookies are almost always associated with reward and happy times. I mean, have you ever heard, “You’ve been so naughty. Here’s a cookie.”? Me neither.
So in my book, making, eating and gifting cookies for the holidays is part of the Christmas season. I have fixed elaborate boxes of cookies for gifting and they look impressive but unless the recipient is going to eat them all right away (a possibility!), I have come to the conclusion it’s really better to put them in an air-tight bag so they stay fresh. I like the Hefty® Slider Storage Bags because they stay closed and allow that “just baked” flavor to last longer, plus there is no losing the cookies as they slide off a plate. If you’ve ever tried to deliver several batches of cookies on plates to your neighbors, you’ll appreciate what I mean! I like that you can easily write a short message and tell the cookie flavor on that white writing strip on the Hefty bags, too.
Another sweet plus is the personalized bag toppers and customizable templates for the 1 Quart Hefty® Slider Storage Bags. There are three festive toppers to make gifting simple and at holiday time we can all use a little simple! Click through the Hefty landing pages for helpful tricks, tips and printable treat bag toppers here.
When I have time, I like to mix batches of cookie dough ahead for our favorites and then freeze them for baking fresh cookies later. This gingerbread cookie is always popular at our house:
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- edible sprinkles and cupcake/cookie adornments
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and molasses and mix on medium speed till fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices until well combined.
- Slowly add to wet mixture on low speed.
- When combined, put dough in fridge for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use heart shaped cookie cutters and place cut out cookies on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Melt chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- Dip gingerbread halfway into chocolate top with sprinkles.
- Let chocolate set on wire rack with baking tray underneath.
So how about you—are you ready to bake some cookies? Fill up those Hefty bags, choose a template for a topper. Which one do you like best? Beside the Slider Storage and Freezer Bags, Hefty also has disposable tableware and trash bags so you might want to check out their home solutions for easy holiday help.
Celebrate the holidays with an easy and fast cash giveaway! Just use the Rafflecopter below to enter to win $100 in cash!
You must be over 18 to enter, open worldwide. Must have a valid PayPal account for prize to be sent. Giveaway ends December 15, 2015 at 11:59pm EST.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Stephanie is in love with a boy named Sam. He has taught her that it's okay to jump first and look later, to wear a dirty shirt to the park and to decide that today is a good day to take a nap in your rubber boots. She hangs out here blogging at Spaceships and Laser Beams and at our printable party shop on Etsy.