Elbow Macaroni Salad
Here’s a great recipe for macaroni salad. It pairs well with summer lunch sandwiches and as a side on the dinner table. I know macaroni is often a star player in dishes like mac n’ cheese, goulash, and bean and pasta soup, but whenever I hear the word “macaroni” I always think of my sweet aunt and her macaroni salad.
- Cool off this summer with 3 Decadent Smoothie Ideas.
- You can’t go wrong with this Classic Apple Brown Betty.
I guess you could say my aunt was famous for her macaroni salad. She earned that nickname everyone called her because of the salad: Aunt Macaroni.
Her husband and four boys frequently requested it. She took it to family reunions. She made it for picnics. It seemed like she made it whenever I visited their house for dinner…and I hated it!
I loved my aunt and I loved going to her house. It was always full of interesting goings on with those energetic boy cousins and Aunt Macaroni’s mischievous ways.
They had all sorts of curiosities in jumbled piles that I found fascinating. Their world was boy messy, so different from my neatly ordered home. I remember heaps of bikes in the garage and fishing gear and sporting equipment and there was a perpetual menagerie of pets.
I had fun at Aunt Macaroni’s and I invariably came home with dirt smudges on my face and clothes and I always wished she would make her apple dumplings as often as she made macaroni salad.
Nowadays my appetite has shifted and I do like macaroni salad. I wish I had Aunt Macaroni’s actual recipe, but this one is awfully close to what I remember and it is so good!
This is a great cold salad that is easy to fix. It’s also great for transporting to family reunions. And picnics. And just to bless your family.
- 1 box of elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of mayo
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, toss cooked macaroni with celery, red pepper and carrots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, mustard, green onions and parsley.
- Pour over macaroni and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Create an amazing dish with help from these great baking ideas gathered by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams:
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Wilton 2105-459 Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Curva Artisan Series Double Wall Beverage Glasses and Tumblers
- Oggi Melamine Ribbed 6 Piece Mixing Bowl Set in assorted colors
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Artisan (2 pk.) Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set
- The New York Baking Company | 24-pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel
- Premium Nonstick 21 Pcs Baking Pans
- Onesource 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton 2105-2174 Mini Springform Pan
- Wilton 409-7716 Angled Icing Spatula
- Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan
Check out more great summer recipes:
Don’t miss Grilled Shrimp Stuffed Avocado…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week