November 1, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to cook cube steak, look no further than this crock pot cube steak recipe. The steak becomes tender and juicy with a thick, creamy gravy courtesy of simple ingredients like cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and a handful of seasonings.
Slow Cooker Cube Steak Ingredients
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy meal that won’t disappoint, slow cooker cube steak is worth a try.
The steak is tender and flavorful after being stewed in its juices for hours on end.
The slow cooking process allows the meat to absorb all of the flavors from the broth, onions, and mushrooms, resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces of cremini or baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1½-2 pounds of cube steak
- 1(1-ounce) packet of onion soup mix
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
Substitutions And Additions
SOUP: You can also substitute a cream of celery soup for the cream of mushroom in this easy recipe.
ONION SOUP MIX: If you prefer a homemade alternative, you can replace the onion soup mix with a blend of dried onion flakes, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt.
Simply mix two tablespoons of dried onion flakes with one teaspoon of garlic powder and a pinch of salt to replicate the savory flavors of the soup mix.
MUSHROOMS: If you can’t find (or don’t like) cremini or Bella mushrooms, any fresh mushrooms would be fine in this easy dinner recipe.
POTATOES: To make this meal heartier, consider adding cubed potatoes to the slow cooker.
They will absorb the flavorful sauce and become tender, creating a one-pot meal that’s both convenient and satisfying.
VEGETABLES: Introduce your favorite vegetables like carrots, green beans, or peas for added nutrition and variety.
Simply layer them on top of the cube steak before cooking to let them soak up the savory juices.
How To Make This Slow Cooker Cube Steak Recipe
You’ll add the meat and veggies to the slow cooker before topping it with the rich, savory sauce. Turn on your slow cooker and let it do all the work.
STEP ONE: In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, arrange the onion and mushroom pieces.
Place the cube steak over the top of the vegetables. You can layer the steak pieces if needed.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
The onions will take a while to cook down into nice soft caramelized onions, so adding them at the start of slow cooking is the perfect timing.
STEP TWO: In a separate bowl, whisk together the onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, water, black pepper, seasoned salt, and minced garlic.
Because we’re adding the onion soup mix, do not add more salt to the recipe than the specified half teaspoon of seasoned salt.
STEP THREE: Pour the soup mixture over the cube steak.
STEP FOUR: Cover and cook on high for six hours or low for eight hours.
The longer you cook cube steak in the slow cooker, the more tender it will be. We found it was quite tender at the 6-hour mark.
STEP FIVE: During the last hour of cooking, whisk together the cornstarch and water and stir into the mushroom gravy mixture in the crockpot.
Continue cooking, turning the slow cooker up to high if cooking on low, and cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour until the gravy thickens.
How To Serve
This deliciously tender steak is the perfect choice for a busy day.
MORE STEAK RECIPES
Now that you’ve enjoyed your comforting slow cooker cube steak let’s talk about how to store any leftovers or plan ahead for your next meal.
MAKE AHEAD: After preparing the cube steak and gravy, allow it to cool to room temperature.
Transfer it to an airtight container, ensuring that it’s well-sealed. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days before reheating.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover crockpot cube steak in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can also freeze this cubed steak entree for up to one month. Label the container so that you make sure to use the steak before its best-by date.
REHEATING: When it’s time to savor your stored cube steak, there are a few methods you can use to reheat it.
In the microwave, place your portion on a microwave-safe plate, cover it with a microwave-safe lid, and heat in 30-second intervals until heated through.
In the oven, preheat to 350°F (175°C), place the cube steak in an oven-safe dish, cover it with foil, and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until warmed to your liking.
On the stovetop, reheat it gently in a skillet over medium-low heat, adding a splash of water or beef broth to maintain moisture.
Stir occasionally until heated thoroughly. Make sure to check the internal temperature of the steak, aiming for 165°F (74°C), to ensure it’s safe to eat.
Why We Love This Recipe
FLAVORFUL SIMPLICITY: This recipe delivers mouthwatering flavors with minimal effort. The cube steak becomes incredibly tender and soaks up the rich gravy.
CONVENIENT SLOW COOKING: The slow cooker does most of the work for you, allowing you to set it and forget it. It’s perfect for busy days when you want a homemade meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
BUDGET-FRIENDLY: Cube steak is an affordable cut of meat, making this recipe a wallet-friendly option for families. Yet, it transforms into a luxurious and satisfying meal that doesn’t skimp on taste.
The slow cooking process results in perfectly tender cube steak in this easy recipe. Crock pot cube steak is the ideal dish to make when you know you will have a busy day since it simmers away on the counter while you are going about your day.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Cube steak is an inexpensive cut of beef (the unique cube pattern comes from pre-grocery store tenderization). Because the meat is so tough, this tenderization allows you to have really inexpensive meat that is also tender.
It is perfectly safe to put raw meat in your slow cooker, especially since it will have several hours to cook thoroughly.
You can easily freeze the cube steak and gravy in an airtight container for up to a month.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Simple Sauteed Vegetables
- Burrito Bowl
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
- Mushroom Rice Recipe
- Chicken Taco Soup
Crock Pot Cube Steak
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ to 2 pounds cube steak
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, arrange the onion and mushroom pieces. Place the cube steak over the top of the vegetables. You can layer the steak pieces if needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, water, black pepper, seasoned salt, and minced garlic.
- Pour soup mixture over the cube steak.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, whisk together the cornstarch and water and stir into the gravy mixture in the crockpot. Continue cooking (turning the slow cooker up to high if cooking on low) and cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
- The onions will take a while to cook down into nice soft caramelized onions, so adding them at the start of slow cooking is the perfect timing.
- Because we’re adding the onion soup mix, do not add more salt to the recipe than the specified ½ teaspoon seasoned salt.
- The longer you cook cube steak in the slow cooker, the more tender it will be. We found it was quite tender at the 6-hour mark.