October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This slow cooker pulled BBQ chicken is incredibly easy to make by just throwing chicken, barbecue sauce, and spices into a crockpot and waiting until the chicken becomes fall-apart tender and juicy. Add it to buttered hamburger rolls, and it becomes a mouth-watering pulled BBQ chicken sandwich.
Pulled BBQ Chicken Crock Pot Ingredients
When it comes to delicious finger-licking food, slow cooker pulled BBQ chicken is a must-try.
The chicken is cooked for hours, allowing the flavors of the barbeque sauce to fully seep in and soak into the tender meat.
As a result, the chicken is incredibly juicy, packed with a smoky taste, and fall-apart-tender.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 18 ounces of Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory & Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce
- ⅓ cup of light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of ground white pepper
If your chicken breasts are on the smaller side, use four instead of three for this recipe.
Substitutions And Additions
BARBECUE SAUCE: There are so many great BBQ sauces to choose from. We also love Sweet Baby Bay’s Honey Barbecue Sauce, or you can use your own favorite brand or even a homemade BBQ sauce.
GROUND WHITE PEPPER: Ground black pepper will also work as an alternative to white pepper if needed.
CHIPOTLE CHILI POWDER: Regular chili powder is fine to use as a substitute if you don’t have the chipotle variety
SLOW COOKER: This pulled BBQ chicken recipe uses a slow cooker. You can use any size of crockpot, Instant Pot, or any other slow cooker brand.
CHICKEN: Boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of boneless chicken breasts would also work well for this recipe.
How To Make BBQ Pulled Chicken
Once you put the chicken in the slow cooker, top it with all the saucy ingredients and set the slow cooker to do all the work. Shred the chicken and dig in!
STEP ONE: Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and turn the heat to low.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Don’t cook the chicken from frozen. Make sure that the chicken is fully thawed before placing it in the slow cooker.
STEP TWO: In a bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, light brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, and ground white pepper. Stir well with a whisk.
STEP THREE: Pour the barbecue sauce mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken breasts.
STEP FOUR: Use a spoon to stir and coat all the chicken with the barbecue sauce mixture.
STEP FIVE: Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low heat for six to seven hours or on high for three to four hours.
Make sure your chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F.
STEP SIX: When the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork, it’s ready to be shredded. Use two forks to shred the chicken while still in the slow cooker.
Don’t overcook the chicken. If your slow cooker has a ‘warm’ setting, switch to this once it’s done to prevent it from continuing to cook in the sauce.
STEP SEVEN: Mix the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce together until it’s well-coated.
STEP EIGHT: Serve on buttered and toasted hamburger buns.
How To Serve This Pulled Chicken Recipe
A pulled BBQ chicken sandwich is a great alternative to a burger. Just add the BBQ chicken to a toasted and buttered hamburger bun.
I also suggest topping your BBQ chicken with homemade coleslaw to add a nice crunch to an already delicious sandwich.
MORE DINNER RECIPES
Storing This Crock Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken
We’ve got you covered with some easy storage tips to keep the deliciousness of this chicken intact.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover cooked BBQ-pulled chicken can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days. When reheating, make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
IN THE FREEZER: Slow cooker BBQ chicken can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container.
MAKE AHEAD: You can also batch cook this dish and store it to make a quick lunch to take to work or reheat for lazy weeknight dinners.
The Shredded BBQ Chicken Crock Pot Recipe You’ll LOVE!
This easy slow cooker pulled BBQ chicken recipe is a great go-to for busy weeknights. You can just put the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, and at dinner time, it’ll take just a few minutes to shred the tender chicken and pop it onto a bun.
Frequently Asked Questions
To shred chicken, use two forks. Holding one in each hand, use them to pull the chicken apart.
Pulled chicken can be used for so many different meals. Try chicken sandwiches, chicken tacos, or even chicken sliders.
BBQ sauce won’t burn in the slow cooker as long as it is combined with another liquid.
It is not recommended to add frozen chicken to the slow cooker as it will take a lot of extra cooking time for the chicken to heat up to a safe internal temperature.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Upside Down Pizza
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Slow Cooker Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Crockpot Rotel Dip
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- The Best Burger
- Chili Recipe
- Oklahoma Onion Burger
- Zinger Burger
- General Tso Chicken
- Cheeseburger Quesadilla
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Garlic Bread
- Benihana Hibachi Chicken
- Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Hamburger Hash
- 30 Minute Chicken Chimichanga
- Coca Cola Chicken Recipe
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak
- White Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Cheeseburger Pie
- Salmon in Foil
- Peanut Butter Chicken
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Tuna Melt
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts
- 18 ounces Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar Barbeque Sauce
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Turn the heat to low.
- In a separate bowl, combine Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce, light brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, and ground white pepper. Use a whisk to stir and combine.
- Pour the barbecue sauce mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken breasts. Use a spoon to stir and coat all the chicken with the barbecue sauce mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork, it is ready to be shredded.
- Using two forks, shred chicken while still in the slow cooker. Mix the chicken and barbecue sauce together until well coated.
- Serve on buttered and toasted hamburger buns.
- If your chicken breasts are on the smaller side, use four instead of three for this recipe.
- Do not cook chicken from frozen. Make sure the chicken is fully thawed before adding it to the crockpot.
- Make sure your chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. If your slow cooker has a ‘warm’ setting, switch to this once it’s done to prevent it from continuing to cook in the sauce.