September 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Ingredients for Hamburger Noodle Casserole
- Hamburger Noodle Casserole Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make This Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- How to Serve this Recipe for Hamburger Casserole
- How to Store Hamburger Casserole with Noodles
- Easy Hamburger Casserole FAQ
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- More Favorites You’ll Love
Hamburger casserole is one-dish comfort food at its finest. Noodles are mixed with ground beef and vegetables and then topped with cheese and baked to bubbly perfection.
Ingredients for Hamburger Noodle Casserole
- 4 cups of dry egg noodles, cooked
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 cup of diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 14-ounce can of diced Italian-style tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup of frozen peas and carrots
- ¼ cup of frozen corn
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided in half
Hamburger Noodle Casserole Substitutions And Additions
PEAS AND CARROTS: If you don’t enjoy peas and carrots, you could add more corn and bell peppers as a substitute.
MEAT: Any type of ground meat, such as ground chicken, ground turkey, or even sausage, would work in this great recipe in place of hamburger meat.
CHEESE: A sharp cheddar cheese is delicious, but you could either replace it or add more of a different type of cheese. Try mozzarella cheese or an Italian cheese blend. You could even add a bit of cream cheese or sour cream to the beef mixture to increase the creaminess.
SPICE: To kick up the heat a notch, add a dash of red pepper flakes to the mixture.
PASTA: Any bite-size pasta would be a great choice in this recipe. Try pasta shells, penne, or rotini.
SAUCE: Any type of spaghetti sauce would work for this recipe. Choose either plain or one with spice and extra veggies.
How To Make This Hamburger Casserole Recipe
Savory layers of seasoned ground beef, creamy sauce, and melted cheese make this hamburger casserole with noodles a real winner for weeknight meals.
Here’s how your make our recipe:
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: In a large pot, prepare four cups of dry egg noodles to al dente according to package directions, then set aside once cooked.
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done.
When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
STEP THREE: Next, in a large skillet, cook the ground beef until it is almost done, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
STEP FOUR: Add the onion and green pepper to the skillet and cook for about four minutes, then add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for one minute more.
STEP FIVE: Pour the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into the skillet, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook together for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
STEP SIX: Put the egg noodles in the bottom of the greased baking dish, then pour the meat mixture on top. Add in the peas, carrots, corn, and half of the cheese. Mix everything together thoroughly.
STEP SEVEN: Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes in the oven, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
After taking the casserole out of the oven, let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and makes it easier to serve.
How to Serve this Recipe for Hamburger Casserole
WITH BREAD ON THE SIDE
There’s nothing like a slice of garlic bread to soak up the rich flavors of the casserole. It also goes great alongside our cheesy pull-apart bread, dinner rolls or our rustic Dutch oven bread.
WITH SALAD ON THE SIDE
Balance out the heartiness of the casserole with a crisp green side salad or Caesar salad. The freshness of the greens, combined with a tangy vinaigrette, complements the deep flavors of the casserole.
WITH ICED TEA
A chilled glass of iced tea is the perfect drink to go with hamburger casserole. Drinks with a slight fruitiness also pair well.
Need more easy dinner recipes full of simple ingredients? This chili recipe is a favorite, as is Grandma’s classic goulash. We also love crockpot mac and cheese and our baked mac and cheese for easy meal ideas.
How to Store Hamburger Casserole with Noodles
If you have leftovers or you’re planning to prep ahead, here are some handy storage tips to ensure every bite remains as delicious as the first.
This hamburger casserole recipe is a dream for those who love to plan their meals in advance. You can assemble the entire casserole, but instead of baking, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply bake as instructed, adding an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time since it’s starting from chilled.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This recipe can be assembled ahead of time the night before and popped in the oven when you are ready to bake it.
In addition, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time in larger batches and frozen until you need it. To use pre-cooked ground beef, just add the ground beef where indicated and continue the recipe as written.
IN THE FRIDGE
Once your casserole has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to an airtight container or cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or foil. Your hamburger casserole will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
IN THE FREEZER
For those who love to batch-cook or just want to save a portion for a rainy day, this ground beef casserole freezes beautifully.
Once cooled, portion the casserole into freezer-safe containers or bags, ensuring you’ve squeezed out any excess air. Label with the date, and you’re good to go!
This casserole can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Whether you’re reheating from the fridge or after thawing from the freezer, you’ve got options.
For oven reheating, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake the casserole covered for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
If you’re in a hurry, the microwave is your friend. Transfer a portion to a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, and heat on medium power in 2-minute intervals, stirring in between, until hot.
NOTE: Always ensure your casserole reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before enjoying.
I love how quick and simple this hamburger casserole is to make. Everything comes together in a snap in one dish and is ready after a few minutes baking in the oven.
The end result is rich, cheesy comfort food that is perfect for busy weeknights that the whole family will love.
Easy Hamburger Casserole FAQ
This easy hamburger casserole recipe can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge covered in aluminum foil until you are ready to bake it.
You could use ground chicken, turkey, pork, or Italian sausage in place of the ground beef in this recipe.
You could replace the ground beef with black beans for a vegetarian version of this recipe.
Ground beef is often baked into casseroles. Generally, it is cooked in a skillet on the stovetop before being incorporated into a casserole and baked.
Casseroles tend to have three main components. A protein such as ground meat, fish, beans, or tofu, vegetables, and a starchy component, such as potatoes or pasta, are combined to create a casserole dish.
While a casserole dish is a traditional choice to make casseroles, you could also use a glass or metal baking pan or even a cast-iron skillet for your casserole recipe.
Pyrex glassware can be safely put in the oven to bake your casserole. Just ensure that if you are transferring a “made-ahead” casserole from the fridge or freezer, you allow the dish to come to room temperature before placing it in the oven. If the glassware moves between two very different temperatures, there is a risk of it shattering.
The sauce in a casserole recipe is what keeps all of the components together.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Boston Cream Poke Cake Ganache
- Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Cotton Candy Flavored Ice Cream
- Recipe for Bang Bang Chicken
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Vegetable Casserole
- Corn Casserole
- Sausage Green Bean Potato Casserole
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Shells and Cheese
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Hamburger Rice Casserole
- Taco Spaghetti Recipe
- Recipe for Tater Tot Casserole
- Dole Pineapple Whip
- Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Birthday Cake Flavored Ice Cream
- Green Bean Casserole
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Carbonara Pasta
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Hamburger Potato Casserole
- Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
- Corn Salad
Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups dry egg noodles cooked
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 14 ounce can of diced Italian-style tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup frozen peas and carrots
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese divided in half
- Prepare egg noodles according to directions and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until it is almost done, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Add the onion and green pepper to the skillet and cook about 4 minutes, then add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook 1 minute more.
- Pour tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into the skillet, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook together for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Put the egg noodles in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the ground beef mixture on top. Add in the peas, carrots, corn, and half of the cheese. Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes in the oven, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
- This recipe can be assembled ahead of time the night before and popped in the oven when you are ready to bake it.
- Ground beef can be cooked ahead of time in larger batches and frozen until you need it. Add the ground beef where indicated and continue the recipe as written.
- To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done. When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.