October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This sweet cherry yum yum combines the flavorful tartness of cherries with a velvety cream cheese filling and graham crust to create a heavenly combination that’ll make you forget all other desserts. Whether it’s served as an after-dinner indulgence or as part of a special occasion spread, cherry yum yum is sure to be the star of the show!
Cherry Yum Yum Ingredients
Cherry yum yum is a heavenly indulgence that tantalizes the taste buds. Its velvety cream cheese filling complements the tartness of the cherries, while the buttery graham cracker crust adds a delightful crunch with each bite.
The combination of flavors is truly delightful, offering an abundance of sweetness and tanginess in one delicious dessert.
To make this creamy dessert, you’ll need:
For The Graham Cracker Crust:
- 2 cups (14 full-size crackers) of graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup of finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of salted sweet cream butter, melted and cooled
For The Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 (8-ounce) containers of whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- 1¼ cups of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 (21-ounce) cans of cherry pie filling
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped pecans (garnish)
You can crush your own graham crackers using a food processor or in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin.
Substitutions And Additions
CRUST: Instead of using graham cracker crumbs, you could use crushed digestive biscuits or vanilla wafers for the crust in this layered dessert.
NUTS: You can substitute chopped walnuts for chopped pecans in both the crust and filling.
GARNISH: You can substitute graham cracker crumbs for the finely chopped pecan garnish in this easy recipe.
CHERRY PIE FILLING: If you don’t have cherry pie filling on hand or prefer a different fruit, you can easily substitute it with other pie fillings such as blueberry, strawberry, or apple. These alternatives will bring their own unique flavors to the dish while still providing a delightful fruity component. Just keep in mind that the taste and texture of the dessert will vary depending on the substitution.
VANILLA EXTRACT: While vanilla extract adds a lovely depth of flavor to the recipe, you can experiment with different extracts to create unique taste profiles. Try using almond extract for a nutty twist, or coconut extract to enhance the tropical flavors. Keep in mind that these extracts can be quite potent, so start with a smaller quantity and adjust to taste.
TOPPINGS: The toppings for this dessert are customizable to your liking. Consider adding a sprinkling of toasted coconut, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce over the final layer of whipped cream. These additions will add extra crunch, texture, and flavor to the dish, elevating it to a whole new level.
How To Make This Cherry Yum Yum Recipe
Follow our easy step-by-step instructions to make the creamy and delicious layers of this dreamy dessert.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: Add the crushed graham crackers, chopped pecans, and granulated sugar to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
STEP THREE: Add the melted butter and stir to completely coat the graham cracker crumb mixture.
STEP FOUR: Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 8 minutes. Allow the crust to cool completely.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your crust as the suggested baking time approaches.
STEP FIVE: In the bowl of a stand mixer or a medium bowl and a handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the softened cream cheese for 1 to 1½ minutes until smooth.
Be sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature to ensure no lumps in the creamy cheesecake filling.
STEP SIX: Add 1 of the 8-ounce containers of thawed whipped topping, powdered sugar, and vanilla for 1½ to 2 minutes until smooth.
STEP SEVEN: Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cooled crust.
STEP EIGHT: Evenly spread both cans of cherry filling over the cream cheese layer.
STEP NINE: Evenly spread the remaining container of thawed whipped topping in an even layer over the cherry pie filling layer. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of finely chopped pecans over top of the whipped cream layer. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Just before serving, slice into 3 slices x 5 slices.
To make slicing easier after chilling, cut into slices while cold and then let thaw briefly before serving.
How To Serve
Cherry yum yum is best served with a side of creamy vanilla ice cream to balance out the sweetness of the cherries. Add a warm mug of homemade hot chocolate or tea to wash this delicious dessert down.
With a few simple steps, you can preserve the freshness and taste of your dessert, allowing you to savor its goodness over multiple servings.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re looking to save time or plan ahead, you can make cherry yum yum in advance. Simply follow the recipe as instructed and assemble the dessert in a suitable dish. Instead of serving immediately, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or an airtight lid and refrigerate until needed. This make-ahead option is ideal for busy days or when entertaining guests.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this easy cherry delight dessert covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can also freeze this cherry dessert for up to a month in an airtight container. Allow it to thaw in the fridge before serving.
With its sweet cherry flavor, crunchy crust, and creamy filling, cherry yum yum is sure to become a favorite treat among family and friends alike. With only a quick bake on the crust, this is an easy recipe to make when you are short on time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any leftovers of this great recipe can be stored covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Yes, you can use a variety of different nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or even macadamia nuts, for a delicious twist in this cherry delight recipe.
This perfect dessert is almost no-bake! The only baking required is to bake the graham cracker crust before assembling the dessert.
This dessert is a great make-ahead dessert, especially since it needs at least four hours to chill in the fridge. Make it the day before and bring it with you to a potluck.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Busy Day Chocolate Cake
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Banana Bread
- Watermelon Cake
- Butterscotch Delight
- Mini Black Forest Cheesecake
- Graham Cracker Crust
- Cherry Cheesecake Cookies
- Cherry Kool Aid Pie
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip
- Cherry Chip Cake
- Cherry Kiss Cookies
- Cherry Breakfast Braid
- Cherry Cheesecake Eggrolls
- Apple Dapple Cake
- Rhubarb Cake
- Cherry Cheesecake Tacos
- Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Strawberry Shortcake Brownies
- Pecan Cream Pie
- Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Blueberry Fudge
- Blueberry No Bake Pie
Cherry Yum Yum
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (14 full-size crackers)
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup salted sweet cream butter, melted and cooled
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces whipped topping, thawed (two 8-ounce containers)
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 42 ounces cherry pie filling (two 21-ounce cans)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, chopped pecans, and granulated sugar to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter and stir to coat the graham cracker crumb mixture completely.
- Press into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 8 minutes. Allow the crust to cool completely.
- Using either a stand mixer or a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream cheese for 1 to 1½ minutes until smooth.
- Add 1 of the 8-ounce containers of thawed whipped topping, powdered sugar, and vanilla for 1½ to 2 minutes until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cooled crust.
- Evenly spread both cans of cherry pie filling over the cream cheese layer.
- Evenly spread the remaining container of thawed whipped topping over the cherry pie filling layer. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of finely chopped pecans over the whipped topping layer. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Just before serving, slice into 3 slices x 5 slices.
- You can crush your own graham crackers using a food processor or in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your crust as the suggested baking time approaches.
- Be sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature to ensure no lumps in the creamy cheesecake filling.
- To make slicing easier after chilling, cut into slices while cold and then let thaw briefly before serving.