October 9, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Beef tips are tender cubes of beef, served in a rich and flavorful gravy to create a hearty yet inexpensive meal that the whole family will love. The best part about home-cooked beef tips is the smells that waft around the house and make everyone’s mouths water while you’re waiting for the beef to stew.
WHAT ARE BEEF TIPS?
Beef tips are tender chunks of beef that are sauteed in a frying pan and then simmered slowly in a rich gravy.
EASY BEEF TIPS RECIPE INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds of cubed chuck or stew meat
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cups of beef broth, low sodium
- 1 envelope (55g) of dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ⅓ cup of water
- ½ tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
BEEF TIPS RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CHUCK OR STEW MEAT: Depending on your budget, you could instead use sirloin or tenderloin steak.
BEEF BROTH: You can substitute the broth for beef stock or bouillon cubes if needed.
CORNSTARCH: If you don’t have cornstarch to hand you could use wheat flour, arrowroot, or tapioca.
MUSHROOMS: A cup of sliced cremini or button mushrooms would make a tasty addition to this beef tips recipe. Just add them alongside the onions.
HOW TO COOK BEEF TIPS
This recipe can be easily adapted for a crockpot or Instant pot on the slow cooker setting.
STEP ONE: Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large five-quart pot. Brown half of the cubed beef over medium-high heat for seven to nine minutes, until fully-cooked. Place in a bowl and set aside.
STEP TWO: Add another tablespoon of oil and repeat for the second half of the beef cubes. Set aside.
STEP THREE: Heat the third tablespoon of oil and add the onions. Saute for two or three minutes, until tender.
STEP FOUR: Place the beef cubes back into the pot. Add the beef broth, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for one and a half hours.
STEP FIVE: Remove the bay leaf.
STEP SIX: Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate small bowl until the cornstarch has dissolved.
STEP SEVEN: Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot and stir for two minutes, until thickened.
STEP EIGHT: Sprinkled with parsley.
STEP NINE: Serve hot.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE FOR BEEF TIPS
IN THE FRIDGE: Cooked beef tips in gravy can be stored in the fridge for up to three days in a sealed storage container. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze cooked beef tips and gravy for up to three months in an airtight container. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
The best recipe for beef tips creates a tender beef dish that is simmered in a delicious gravy. This is perfect comfort food for a cool evening and yummy served over mashed potatoes.
HOW TO SERVE THIS RECIPE FOR BEEF TIPS
Beef tips are delicious served over top of mashed potatoes with a serving of sauteed vegetables or a salad on the side. Add dinner rolls or crusty bread to mop up all the tasty gravy.
Beef Tips FAQ
Beef tips are usually the tender parts of the tenderloin top. They can also be sirloin tips that come from larger roasts and are often sold as stew meat.
Stew meat tends to be a tougher cut of meat than beef tips, but they can often be used interchangeably.
It takes about 1.5 hours to cook beef tips on the stove top.
You can prepare the meat and gravy ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat on low on the stove top until heated through.
Giving the beef tips enough time to simmer and soften in the pan will produce meat that is nice and tender.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Steak Bites
- Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Steak Marinade
- Pepper Steak
- Asian Steak Bites
- Steak Quesadilla
- Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
- No Yeast Dinner Rolls
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potatoes
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Best Fried Pork Chop Recipe
- Hanky Pankies Recipe
- No Bake Pumpkin Pie with Cool Whip
- Easy No-Bake Chocolate Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- Rotel Dip in Crock Pot Recipe
- Dump Cake Using Chocolate Cake Mix
- Poor Man’s Stew
- French Onion Beef
- Korean Beef
- Roasted Vegetables
- Teriyaki Steak Bites
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak
- Garlic Bread
- No Peek Beef Tips
Easy Beef Tips Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 lb cubed chuck meat or stew meat
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cups beef broth low sodium
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix 55g
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp parsley freshly chopped
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large 5 QT pot. Add in half the cubed beef and brown over medium-high heat until fully cooked, about 7 to 9 minutes. Place cooked beef cubes in a separate bowl and set them aside for now.
- Repeat the steps by adding in the second tablespoon of olive oil and the other half of the beef cubes. Again, once cooked place these cooked cubes in a separate bowl with the rest of the cooked meat.
- Add the third tablespoon of olive oil into the same pot then add in onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef cubes back in plus beef broth, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir to mix. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a separate small bowl until cornstarch has melted.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the beef mixture and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Serve hot.