November 14, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
These apple pie cookies are everything you love about a classic apple pie baked in a fun mini version. A simple, flaky pie crust with a warm, bubbly filling of apples and cinnamon sugar and topped with a drizzle of sweet caramel makes for the best dessert.
Apple Pie Cookies Ingredients
Apple pie cookies boast all the classic flavors of a homemade pie but in miniature form.
The buttery crust melts in your mouth, while the tender apples offer a sweet and slightly tangy punch.
These little treats are both comforting and indulgent, perfect for an afternoon snack or a sweet finish to a cozy fall meal.
Substitutions And Additions
PIE CRUST: This recipe starts with premade pie dough, although you could definitely make your own pie crust from scratch if you’d like.
Check out our homemade pie crust recipe.
PIE FILLING: You could use any flavor of fruit pie filling in place of the apple filling for these mini pies.
CINNAMON: If you’re looking to switch up the flavor of your apple pie cookies, consider substituting cinnamon with other warm spices like allspice or even apple pie spice.
These spices can provide a unique twist to the classic apple pie flavor without altering the baking time or other ingredients.
How To Make This Apple Pie Cookies Recipe
Store-bought pie crust makes this cookie recipe come together quickly. Follow our directions below to assemble the cookies, including the charming lattice top.
STEP ONE: Place the apple pie filling onto a cutting board and cut the apples into smaller pieces. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Place a silicone baking sheet onto a cookie sheet. Roll out one sheet of pie crust onto the silicone sheet.
A rolling pin can be used to lightly flatten out the dough if needed.
STEP THREE: Spread the salted caramel sauce from edge to edge on the pie crust dough. Top with the chopped apple pie filling and spread edge to edge. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: On a cutting board, roll out the second pie crust. A rolling pin can be used to lightly flatten out the dough if needed.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
I chose to do lattice tops for the top layer of pie crust. You can keep it simple and do a regular crust on top if you’d rather.
STEP FIVE: Using a pizza cutter and a ruler, slice the dough into ¼-inch strips (or eyeball it!).
STEP SIX: Using these strips, do a lattice crust on top of the apple pie filling crust.
Or you can just lay some strips vertically and then horizontally if latticework is not your thing.
STEP SEVEN: Using a 2¾-inch round cookie cutter, cut out the cookies, leaving a little space in between them.
Remove the extra dough from around the cookies and just leave the cookies in place on the silicone baking sheet to bake.
You can place all the leftover dough and pie filling into a small, greased pie pan and make a mini pie!
STEP EIGHT: Brush cookies with egg wash using a pastry brush.
In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg together and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the cookies.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your apple cookies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
STEP NINE: Place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Drizzle a little bit of caramel on top before serving to complete this amazing goody.
How To Serve
These scrumptious cookies look like a masterpiece and would be a hit at a potluck or party.
Storing These Caramel Apple
Below, you’ll find some handy advice for storing and making them ahead anytime you crave them.
MAKE AHEAD: This apple pie cookie recipe is perfect for preparing in advance. You can make the dough up to three days ahead of time.
Just ensure to wrap it tightly in cling film and keep it in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to bake, take the dough out, let it reach room temperature, and then proceed with the recipe as usual.
You can even prepare and shape the cookies, place them on your baking sheet, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking.
ON THE COUNTER: Store these apple pie cookies wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container on the counter for three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze these cookies in a container for up to three months.
Why We Love This Recipe
FLAVORFUL TWIST: These apple pie cookies take the beloved classic dessert and turn it into a portable, bite-sized treat.
AROMATIC AND COMFORTING: As these cookies bake, your kitchen will fill with the irresistible scent of warm apples and spices.
You’ll love the flavor of these amazing apple pie cookies. Bubbly, gooey, and fresh-baked from the oven, it’s hard to beat the sweet, luscious flavor. Just like traditional apple pie in a smaller size!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The recipe calls for store-bought pie crust, but if you have a favorite homemade pie crust recipe, you can certainly use that instead for these delicious cookies.
They don’t need to be refrigerated and can be stored on the counter in an airtight container.
You can use either store-bought or homemade caramel sauce to drizzle on top of the cookies.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Reese’s Cookies
- Apple Pie Seasoning
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Crockpot Applesauce
- Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cookies
- Caramel Apple Crisp Bites
Apple Pie Cookies
- 21 ounces apple pie filling
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust, 2 rolls in box, thawed per directions on the box
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the apple pie filling onto a cutting board and cut the apples into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Place a silicone baking sheet onto a cookie sheet.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts onto the silicone sheet. A rolling pin can be used to lightly flatten out the dough if needed.
- Spread the salted caramel sauce from edge to edge on the pie crust dough.
- Top with the chopped apple pie filling and spread edge to edge. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, roll out the second piece of pie crust. A rolling pin can be used to lightly flatten out the dough if needed.
- Using a pizza cutter and a ruler slice the dough into ¼-inch strips (or eyeball it!). Using these strips do a lattice crust on top of the apple pie filling crust. You can also just lay some strips vertical and then horizontal if lattice work is not your thing.
- Using a 2¾-inch circle cutter, cut out the cookies leaving a little space in between them. Remove the extra dough from around the cookies and just leave the cookies in place on the silicone baking sheet to bake.
- Brush cookies with egg wash.
- Mix cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg together and sprinkle on over the cookies.
- Place cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- I chose to do lattice tops for the top layer of pie crust. You can keep it simple and do a regular crust on top if you’d rather.
- You can place all the leftover dough and pie filling into a small, greased pie pan and make a mini pie!
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your apple cookies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
- Drizzle a little bit of caramel sauce on top before serving complete this amazing goody.
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookie Cups Recipe
- Apple Crisp
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Creamsicle Pie
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Mini Rhubarb and Strawberry Pies
- Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Christmas Granola
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls
- Haystack Cookies
- Salted Caramel No-Bake Pie
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Swig Cookies
- Applesauce Cookies
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Easy Apple Dumplings
- Apple Dapple Cake
- Pistachio Pie
- Olive Garden Copycat Salad
- Taco Pie Recipe with Tortillas
- Brownie Bundt Cake
- How to Make Mini Pancakes
- Banana Pudding Recipe with Condensed Milk
- Homemade Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Broccoli Sunflower Seed Salad
- Egg Nog Pie
- Best Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- Easy Sugar Cookie Icing
- Upside Down Apple Cake
- Breakfast French Toast Casserole
- Recipe Peach Cobbler
- Doggie Birthday Cake
- Garlic Bread Toast
- Chicken Enchilada
- Homemade Kung Pao Chicken
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Screw Driver Drink
- Best Kentucky Butter Cake Recipe
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe with Bread Crumbs
- Apple Pie Bites
- Apple Pie Bombs
- Apple Donuts
- Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- Apple Betty
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pie