Last updated on
Table of Contents
There are a few variations on how to make old-fashioned creamed peas, but our recipe is great for when you need to make a quick dish with little clean-up afterward. Just mix together a few simple ingredients to make a creamy sauce and add frozen peas! While it’s a great side dish for dinner, these delicious and sweet peas are also delicious served as part of a main dish on top of toast or potatoes.
CREAMED PEAS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons of salted butter, plus more for serving
- 1 ½ tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of white pepper
- 2 cups of half ‘n’ half cream
- 28-ounce bag of frozen green peas
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Fresh Dill: Dill pairs well with these peas to simmer and/or garnish. Dill is quite light and adds just a hint of extra flavor, but won’t overpower
Carrots: Peas and carrots are a classic, but for good reason! Not only is this a healthy addition to the peas, but the peas and carrots are delicious when mixed together, and help to bring out the flavors of each other. Just substitute half the peas for half the carrots.
Onions: Adding sautéed onion to your creamed peas would be a delicious way to take them to the next level.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMED PEAS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Put your large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and heat it until it just begins to brown.
STEP TWO: Once butter is lightly browned, add flour, salt, and pepper to the pan, then continue to brown the ingredients for an additional minute.
PRO TIP: It’s important to brown the flour before adding the light cream to the pan. This is because the browned butter and flour adds flavor and provides a smooth texture to the creamed peas.
STEP THREE: Whisk the half ‘n’ half cream into the flour mixture until smooth.
STEP FOUR: Add the frozen peas and heat over medium until the mixture comes to a simmer and begins to thicken. Stir cream mixture and peas regularly to ensure the half ‘n’ half does not stick and burn to the bottom of the pan.
PRO TIP: If you want to add a little bit of dill to your simple sauce, add a teaspoon when you add the peas.
STEP FIVE: Season with additional salt and pepper and garnish with fresh dill and butter, if desired.
HOW TO SERVE
This creamy side dish is one of those easy recipes that would work alongside nearly any main entree including meatloaf, grilled salmon or oven-baked chicken. This dish would be a fantastic dish to serve for a holiday meal or on a busy weeknight.
IN THE FRIDGE: This easy side dish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing this dish, as the creamy mixture tends to break when thawed, leaving an undesirable texture.
This recipe for how to make creamed peas is simple and cooks all in one pot in just a few minutes. The creamy white sauce of this old-fashioned recipe adds a delicious and refreshing flavor to your typical pea-based side dish.
We don’t recommend freezing this recipe as the consistency of the cream sauce won’t be retained.
You can use a mixture of peas and carrots, corn, pearl onions or a vegetable medley for this creamy side dish instead of just the peas.
You can certainly use fresh peas in this delicious side dish if you have them available to you. You could also use canned peas if that is what you have available.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 3 tbsp salted butter plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ to 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 cups half ‘n’ half
- 28 oz bag frozen peas
- fresh dill
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat butter until it just begins to brown.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper to the pan then brown for 1 additional minute.TIP: It’s important to brown the flour before adding the cream to the pan. The browned butter and flour adds flavor and provides a smooth texture to the creamed peas.
- Whisk half ‘n’ half into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Add frozen peas and a teaspoon of chopped dill and heat over medium until mixture comes to a simmer and begins to thicken. Stir regularly to ensure the half ‘n’ half does not stick and burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Season with additional salt and pepper and garnish with fresh dill and butter, if desired.