February 28, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Kielbasa and potato bake is made from tasty Polish sausage, crispy potatoes and a deliciously creamy cheese sauce. This recipe is so easy to make and is sure to please the whole family.
INGREDIENTS FOR KIELBASA AND POTATO BAKE
You will need:
- 3 cups of russet potatoes, 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 pound smoked Kielbasa sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups of 2% milk
- ½ cup of heavy cream, 33%
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 can of cheddar cheese soup, 284 ml
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Kielbasa: Kielbasa sausage is a U-shaped, Polish smoked sausage. If you can’t get hold of it, you could use another type of sausage such as chorizo, bratwurst, hot dog sausages or vegetarian sausages.
Russet Potatoes: These are also known as Idaho potatoes. If you happen to have a different variety of potato, those will work just fine for this recipe.
Cheddar Cheese Soup: To make this casserole less cheesy, try other creamy soups like cream of chicken or cream of mushroom.
Vegetables: This dish can be made healthier with the addition of some fresh vegetables like peppers, mushrooms, broccoli or onion. Just fry them alongside the sausage.
HOW TO MAKE THIS KIELBASA AND POTATO BAKE RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 3 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: In a medium-sized pot, boil the potatoes in water for seven minutes. Drain and place into the baking dish.
PRO TIP: Don’t overcook the potatoes, they should be tender but not mushy.
STEP THREE: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat. Add the sausage pieces and fry for five minutes, until lightly browned. Add the sausages to the baking dish.
STEP FOUR: Turn the heat down to medium-low. Using the same skillet, add the flour and butter. Stir until you can no longer see the white of the flour.
STEP FIVE: Add the minced garlic, milk, heavy cream, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese soup. Stir together for three to four minutes until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the shredded cheese.
STEP SIX: Remove the sauce from the heat and pour it into the baking dish with the potatoes and sausages. Mix well.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
STEP EIGHT: Serve immediately.
IN THE FRIDGE: Kielbasa and potato bake can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for three to four days. Reheat in the oven or the microwave before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze kielbasa and potato bake for up to three months. Place each portion in a food storage container so you can defrost and reheat as needed.
Oven-baked kielbasa and potato casserole is warming and flavorsome. It’s the perfect comfort food to enjoy on a cold winter evening. But this sausage and potato casserole isn’t just for dinner. You could also serve a small portion with eggs for a hearty breakfast.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Kielbasa and Potato Bake
- 3 cup russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa sausage cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 33%
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup 284 ml
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized 2 Quart pot, boil potatoes in water until tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook these. They should be tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes then place them in the prepared baking dish.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, lightly brown sausage pieces with olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add browned sausages to the baking dish.
- In the same frying pan, now with just the leftover oil, add flour and butter. Cook over medium-low heat until you no longer see the white of the flour.
- Add in minced garlic, milk, heavy cream, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese soup. Stir together until simmering and sauce has thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in shredded cheese. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce into pan with potatoes and sausage. Toss well to mix until all potatoes and sausages are coated in sauce.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.