Along with the sparkle and bustle of the holiday season, I think you’ve got to have some of those “tidings of comfort and joy”. Where do you get it? I’ve got the recipe for that and it doesn’t need to be gift wrapped!
We were all sitting around the table, anticipating Grandma’s great meal the aroma promised. Small talk and laughter were passing around the table along with a variety of heaped bowls.
Then my uncle and the mashed potato bowl dammed up the easy flow.
Unaware, he kept talking and heaping mashed potatoes on his plate as the rest of us watched in amusement and then disbelief.
When it seemed there wouldn’t be enough mashed potatoes to make it around the table, my other uncle finally blurted, “Why don’t you just pass your plate and keep the bowl?”
Sheepish uncle #1 looked contrite and then grinned as he passed the bowl…and kept his plate.
Besides reminding me to teach my boys table manners, that scenario has made me want to always have more than enough to offer guests. It also illustrated the power of comfort foods.
Experimental dishes and new tastes are satisfying but nothing beats familiar favorites, especially at a holiday meal. This recipe for Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes is a great combo of comfortable familiarity with a dash of gourmet taste.
DairyPure® milk adds the creamy goodness we all crave. It’s the only milk backed by an exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise: no artificial growth hormones, it’s tested for antibiotics, it’s continually quality tested for purity, it only comes from cows fed a healthy diet and it’s cold-shipped fresh from your local dairy.
All good things!
Quality products always add to my comfort and joy. Especially in the holiday season of busy schedules and indulgences, quality foods matter.
Especially when my uncle is coming.
You can find DairyPure® products, including whole, 2% reduced fat, 1% low fat and skim/fat free milks, in the dairy case at grocery stores nationwide. For recipes and to learn more, visit DairyPure.com and find them on Facebook and Pinterest.
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 ½ cups DairyPure® Half & Half or Whole Milk
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat salted water and potatoes to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in small sauce pan over high heat, heat DairyPure® Half & Half and garlic cloves just to boiling. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes until garlic is just soft.
- In small skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add leeks. Cook 5 to 8 minutes until leeks are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes with garlic-milk mixture, leeks, salt, and pepper
- until well blended and smooth.