St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Biscuits
Do your boys like bread? Mine sure do; fresh, baked bread equals party time at our house. For St. Patricks Day, I decorate my favorite biscuit recipe with small sprigs of parsley. After they bake, they look just like shamrocks.
- If you’re busy in the kitchen, make sure to check out these fun St. Patrick’s Day baking supplies.
- Plus, get some inspiration with this St. Patrick’s Day birthday party.
If you dont have time/inclination to make this recipe from scratch, you could substitute frozen or canned biscuits and have the same visual result but these biscuits are really good and theyre easy to make.
St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 C flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/3 C shortening
- 3/4 C buttermilk (add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice to not quite ¾ C regular milk if you dont have buttermilk; its supposed to curdle so dont let the lumps scare you)
- about 4 Tablespoons softened butter
- a few sprigs of washed and dried (on a paper towel) parsley
To Bake St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Buttermilk Biscuits
- Measure the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a fork to cut the shortening into the flour. It will look like coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk all at once and stir quickly.
- Put a small amount of flour on the counter and dump the biscuit dough on it. Knead the dough about a dozen times.
- Either roll or pat (my method) dough down until its about ½ thick.
- Use about a 2 ½ cutter to make the biscuit rounds.
- Put them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Put just enough soft butter on the top to cover each one. Choose a few sprigs of parsley and put one in the center of each biscuit.
- Bake at 450* for about 12 minutes.
We like the biscuits fresh from the oven, while theyre still warm.These biscuits are wonderful with stew; Irish stew would be just the thing to go with them!
While your St. Patrick’s Day biscuits are in the oven, check out these ideas:
- 25 St. Patrick’s Day Books for Kids
- 21 Free St. Patrick’s Day Printables
- 27 St. Patrick’s Day Party Favors
- Kid’s Party Food: St. Patrick’s Day Green Noodles
- 25 St. Patrick’s Day Activity & Craft Ideas
What will you bake to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.