A true potluck staple, this classic potato salad recipe is creamy with hints of crunch from celery, and makes a big enough batch so the whole group can enjoy!
- 5 pounds golden potatoes or red potatoes (do not peel before boiling)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 stalks celery chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 6 eggs hard boiled, chopped
- 2 cups Miracle Whip, mayonnaise or half and half combination If using only mayonnaise, add 1 tablespoon vinegar. If using a half and half combination, add ¾ teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup pickle relish
- 1 ½ tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- paprika sprinkled on top (optional)
Place unpeeled potatoes in a pan. Cover with cold water, add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain potatoes, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and allow to cool for 20 to 25 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooling, chop the celery, prepare the hard boiled eggs, and make the dressing.
For the dressing, combine Miracle Whip, pickle relish, yellow mustard, onion, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. Mix until creamy. Set aside.
Peel potatoes and coarsely chop. Add celery, eggs, and dressing. Stir well but gently. Refrigerate.
TIP: Before chopping raw onion, soak peeled onion in cold water for 10 minutes to take away sharpness, if desired.
TIP: It is best to make this creamy potato salad recipe well ahead of time, even if it’s a day or two before.
TIP: If you are trying to peel the potatoes with a ‘potato peeler’ that they will get mushy while handling them, but if you use a paring knife and just gently peel the skin while the potatoes are still warm (but able to handle) then you won’t break up the potatoes. This allows you to cut nice 1-inch potato chunks.
Sodium: 807mgCalcium: 38mgVitamin C: 38mgVitamin A: 136IUSugar: 2gFiber: 5gPotassium: 847mgCholesterol: 82mgCalories: 192kcalSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 2gProtein: 7gCarbohydrates: 37gIron: 2mg