Best Ever Chili Dog Recipe
These easy, hearty homemade chili dogs are the best!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 pounds ground beef/turkey
- 2 small green peppers about 2 cups diced
- 1 small yellow onion about 1.5 cups diced
- 2-15 ounce cans Hunts Diced Tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can Hunts Tomato Sauce
- 1-6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 2-15 ounce cans water
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 heaping tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup masa flour
- 20 Hot dogs
- 20 hot dog buns
In a large dutch oven, saute diced peppers and onions until translucent and they start to caramelize.
Add seasonings and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. (Make sure they don’t burn.)
Add ground meat and brown until just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of the ingredients.
Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and tomato paste.
Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the drained beans.
Preheat oven to 400. Once it’s preheated, cook hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
In a small bowl, mix together water and masa. Add half of the mixture to the chili and stir until it dissolves. Then add the remaining masa and stir until it starts to thicken.
Remove from heat and serve over hot dogs and top with your favorite toppings!