Old Fashioned Chili Recipe
This old fashioned chili recipe will make you think of meals at grandma’s when you were little. It’s hearty and filling. The flavors are perfect!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 pounds ground beef/turkey
- 2 small green peppers about 2 cups diced
- 1 small yellow onion about 1.5 cups diced
- 2-15 ounce cans Hunts Diced Tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can Hunts Tomato Sauce
- 1-6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1-15 ounce cans water
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
In a large dutch oven, saute diced peppers and onions until translucent and they start to caramelize.
Add seasonings (minus the baking soda) and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. (Make sure they don’t burn.)
Add ground meat and brown until just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of the ingredients.
Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and tomato paste.
Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the drained beans.
Stir in the baking soda. The sauce will start to bubble up. Stir over medium heat until the bubbles have gone away.
Remove from heat and serve with cornbread.