This old-fashioned chili recipe will make you think of meals at grandma’s when you were little. It’s hearty and filling. The flavors are perfect!
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 2 small green peppers about 2 cups diced
- 1 small yellow onion about 1 ½ cups diced
- 2 cans tomatoes diced (15-ounce cans)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 15 ounces water
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed (15-ounce cans)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda optional
In a large dutch oven, saute diced peppers and onions until translucent and they start to caramelize.
Add seasonings (minus the baking soda) and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Make sure they don’t burn.
Add ground meat and brown until just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of the ingredients.
Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, and tomato paste.
Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the drained beans.
Stir in the baking soda. The sauce will start to bubble up. Stir over medium heat until the bubbles have gone away.
Remove from heat and serve.
TIP: You don’t want anything to burn, so make sure you keep stirring!
TIP: Ground beef can be made ahead of time in large batches and frozen. You can use pre-cooked ground beef in this recipe.
TIP: Adding baking soda helps cut the acidity in the tomatoes.
Sodium: 1181mgCalcium: 84mgVitamin C: 34mgVitamin A: 2127IUSugar: 7gFiber: 5gPotassium: 939mgCholesterol: 81mgCalories: 365kcalSaturated Fat: 9gFat: 24gProtein: 23gCarbohydrates: 16gIron: 6mg