These delicious baked apple donuts are full of apple goodness and make the perfect fall treats.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cinnamon applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare the donut pan by spraying with nonstick spray.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to mix.
In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and stir to mix.
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just mixed.
Place a Ziploc bag inside a tall jar, folding back the edges. Spoon the donut batter into the bag until full. Twist the top of the bag and clip it closed. Hold the bag upside down and use scissors to cut off an angle at the corner of the bag.
Pipe/fill each donut cavity ¾ full of batter.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
Using two separate bowls (big enough for a donut to fit), place the melted butter in one and then mix the sugar and cinnamon together in the second bowl.
Dip the cooled donuts top side down first in the butter, let drip, then dip into sugar/cinnamon mix. Let the donuts sit a few minutes and then dip again in the cinnamon/sugar mixture to give even more texture.
- We recommend a Wilton 12-Cavity Mini Donut Pan, but if you don’t have one or can’t find any mini donut pans, this recipe makes fun apple donut holes in a mini muffin pan. Fill the muffin cavities ¾ full and reduce the baking time by two or three minutes.
- Be careful to not overmix the batter or it will be tough!
- Clean up any spills in the middle of the donuts in the pan before baking so that the centers turn out and don't bake over.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your donuts at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
Calories: 295kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 3gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 241mgPotassium: 128mgFiber: 1gSugar: 34gVitamin A: 151IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 58mgIron: 1mg