Strawberry Pretzel Salad
No need to bake with this strawberry pretzel salad. A simple pretzel crust is topped with a sweetened cream cheese and cool whip middle, then finished off with a strawberry jello layer.
- 2 1/2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- 3-4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 6 ounces strawberry gelatin (2 packages)
- 2 cups water, boiled
Preheat oven to 350 °.
In a medium bowl, combine crushed pretzels, ¾ cup sugar, and melted butter. Press intothe bottom of the 9x13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely. a. When crush pretzels by putting them in a ziploc bag and using a rolling pin, wooden spoon, or your hands to crush them. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, remaining ¾ cup sugar, and the vanillauntil well combined. Fold in the cool whip. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the pretzel crust, making sure it completelycovers the crust and touches the sides of the pan. This will help “block” the jello (in step5) from going into the crust and making it soggy. Place in the fridge until chilled. In a medium bowl, add the 2 cups of boiled water to the jello and stir until jello iscompletely dissolved. Stir in sliced strawberries. Chill in fridge until the jello is partiallyset. Carefully pour or spoon the strawberry jello over the top of the cream cheese mixture.Cover and refrigerate until the jello and dish is firm.
- When adding the cream cheese mixture to the pan, make sure that it goes all the way to the edges. This creates a barrier to prevent the jello from seeping down into the pretzel base and making it soggy.
- When making the jello, don’t leave it in the fridge for too long. If it sets too much it will have chunks and won’t pour evenly over the strawberries.
- If you just can’t get enough of jello, you can add an extra 3-ounce box of gelatin and an extra two cups of water.
- If the Cool Whip is your favorite ingredient in this dessert, you can add a little more on top of each serving.
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 490mg | Potassium: 151mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 45g | Vitamin A: 789IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg