This hearty, simple, Spanish rice is a flavorful side dish loaded with authentic flavor that is perfect to serve with any meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
In a large pan that has a lid or skillet that has a lid, melt the butter with the olive oil.
Add the rice, onion and bell pepper and cook over medium to medium-high heat until the rice is golden brown and vegetables are tender. Stir frequently. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the garlic and stir. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika and cumin. Stir well.
Bring to a boil and then cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Let the rice sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Fluff the rice before serving.
- The names Spanish rice and Mexican rice seem to be interchangeable. They both describe a red rice dish that’s made by toasting rice and adding vegetables. Our recipe is called Spanish rice, but it’s essentially the same as Mexican rice.
- Keep a close eye on the rice and stir it frequently as you don't want the rice to burn in the pan.
- You can also make this recipe in the slow cooker. Cook the rice and vegetables, following the above instructions. Instead of simmering the rice in the skillet for 20 minutes, transfer it to your slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high for 2½ to 3 hours, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff and serve.
Sodium: 778mgCalcium: 41mgVitamin C: 20mgVitamin A: 712IUSugar: 3gFiber: 2gPotassium: 236mgCholesterol: 11mgCalories: 212kcalSaturated Fat: 3gFat: 7gProtein: 4gCarbohydrates: 34gIron: 1mg