This hearty and easy beef stroganoff recipe is a family favorite with tender strips of beef layered with egg noodles and a rich, creamy sauce for a perfect meal.
- 12 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- 1 pound top sirloin, cut into thin strips
- salt and pepper, for seasoning the steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ pounds mushrooms, sliced thick
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
Cook the pasta per package directions, drain and keep warm.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Once the oil is heated add the strips of steak seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook for less than a minute on each side just to get a quick sear. Do this in batches to not crowd the skillet.
Remove meat to a platter and keep it warm (cover with foil). Reduce the heat in the skillet to medium.
Add the butter to the skillet then saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until tender.
Sprinkle the flour over the pan and cook for one minute stirring constantly.
Gradually add the beef broth.
Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream until blended. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 7 minutes to thicken the sauce.
Return the beef to the skillet along with all the juices on the plate and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat and serve over egg noodles.
- Searing the beef first helps to lock in moisture and flavor giving you tender, juicy meat for your dish.
- If you find your sauce is too thick, you can add a splash of water to thin it out a little bit.
- Store your stroganoff sauce and noodles separately to help preserve their texture and flavor.
Sodium: 372mgCalcium: 71mgVitamin C: 3mgVitamin A: 274IUSugar: 3gFiber: 3gPotassium: 684mgCholesterol: 112mgCalories: 459kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 7gFat: 18gProtein: 28gCarbohydrates: 46gIron: 3mg