These darling cupcakes look like mini watermelons and taste so good! The perfect summertime treat.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- White or yellow pre-made cake mix
- PLUS ingredients the cake mix calls for
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Watermelon Kool-aid packet
- Red and green food coloring
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups powdered or icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla OR Lime Kool-aid packet
- 4 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
Make cake mix according to package directions.
Stir in the Watermelon Kool-aid packet and chocolate chips before adding additional red food coloring until you reach a pleasant pink color (you don’t want a deep red).
Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Mix the butter, 3 cups of the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla or Lime Kool-aid packet, and heavy cream or milk together.
Adjust the consistency by adding more icing sugar with heavy cream and then add the green food coloring one drop at a time until you reach your desired color. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag, snip off the tip, and swirl onto your cupcakes – starting at the middle and swirling out, then swirling back in towards the center.
Sprinkle with a few additional mini chocolate chips.