1. In a large bowl, mix the butter, milk or cream, vanilla and 4 cups of icing sugar. Add in the additional 1-2 cups of icing sugar as needed to achieve your desired consistency.
2. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag – no tip required as we’re just going to do a simple swoop of frosting for the Peeps to rest on.
3. Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a cupcake corer to remove the centers and fill with the Peeps-marshmallow filling. Use a wet knife to separate the filling if it is sticking to the piping bag.
4. Next, seal each cupcake with the Peeps fondant. If the fondant is fresh, it will stick to the cupcakes nicely – you may need to add a small amount of water or milk to the bottom of the fondant circles if they are not sticking to the cupcakes.
5. Next, take your frosting and make a swirl of buttercream over top of each cupcake. I like to start in the middle and swirl outwards. Sprinkle a few Easter-inspired sprinkles overtop and then complete the look by perching a Peeps on top of the fresh frosting.