Homemade Pasta Sauce
A classic marinara sauce, it is the perfect red sauce for making literally anything.
- 3-4 cans of crushed tomatoes 28-ounce sized cans OR 12-15 fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4-6 tablespoons fresh basil or 1-2 tablespoons dried basil the ratio is 3:1 for fresh vs dried
- 1 ½ teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sugar optional
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Heat olive oil in a 5+ quart pot over medium heat; add chopped or pressed garlic.
Heat for one to two minutes, making sure not to burn garlic.
Add tomatoes, black pepper, basil and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring often.
For first half of simmer time leave pot uncovered; cover for last half.
Stir in cheese and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.