Get ready for island time — today, we’re going to be talking all about what to pack for your Caribbean cruise!
I’m excited to kick off this series about Caribbean travel in partnership with Princess Cruises!
This spring break, Steve and I had the opportunity to escape to paradise with Princess Cruises for an incredible 7-day Western Caribbean cruise experience. We were so excited to say goodbye to cold temps and gray skies and head to the warm, balmy breezes of the Caribbean and bask in the sunshine.
If you know us, you know that travel and adventure are very high up on our priority list. We love eating new things and going to new places together! There is something so magical about travel. The departure from the daily routine into the unknown is completely thrilling to me.
However, like any good little girl scout, I like to be prepared as possible for that unknown. 😉
Today, I’m going to share our top tips with you for enjoying a Caribbean cruise.
This was our very first cruise… and despite lots of travel, it was a truly unique experience and different than any other means of transportation I’ve had in the past. I hope these ideas will help get you prepared for your adventure!
Before Leaving for Our Carribean Cruise
A few weeks before departure, it was time to start getting ready. In between buying cute clothes and trying on bathing suits, Princess Cruises was making our adventure oh-so-easy.
Princess Cruises has recently launched their OceanMedallion™ technology. It helped make our trip flawless and simple. Let me tell you about it!
Before going, we registered for our trip and then received our OceanMedallion™ in the mail. It’s a small device that is about the size of a quarter and can be worn lots of ways: in a clip, sportsband, bracelet, or pendant. It will arrive at your house before departure in a lanyard. Once we got on board, they have a little shop on the ship where you can shop for all the stylish accessories!
The OceanMedallion™ acts as your key to everything: it opens your stateroom door, plus acts as your payment method on board, and your entry back to the ship after you have an adventure.
The OceanMedallion™ works with the specially designed apps to help make your trip flawless. You can order drinks and food to be delivered to you anywhere on the ship. You can find your shipmates. You can use it to navigate around to other areas of the ship. You can play interactive games around the ship with it.
There is also MedallionNet™ on board — the fastest, best WiFi available at sea.
For someone who lives online, having MedallionNet™ was amazing. I was able to work without a hitch anywhere on the ship. We were also able to Facetime with family while we were gone. I was so thankful for this technology!
We set up our profile in the app before leaving for vacation. We loaded our passport, debit card, and ID right into the app so that the OceanMedallion™ worked seamlessly the entire trip. I have to admit, when we got home, it seemed funny to carry a wallet and keys again — I had gotten so used to have everything I needed taken care of for me in one little pendant.
Needless to say, our OceanMedallion™ was the number one must-have item we packed for the trip. You don’t want to leave home without it!
Items You Must Pack for a Caribbean Cruise
- Passport and ID : Even though we had our OceanMedallion™, I packed our passports in a waterproof pouch, just in case. Thankfully, we never had to use them!
- Portable charger : I packed two portable chargers so we were never stranded without power. I was super paranoid we would run out and miss beautiful pictures. Thanks to two charger packs, it didn’t happen!
- Sunblock and aloe vera : I am convinced the sun in the Caribbean is different than the sun in Michigan. Despite using sunblock, I also needed aloe vera during our trip. I’m glad I had some on hand!
- Waterproof phone pouch : We use these waterproof phone pouches for our weekend kayak and beach trips at home. I’m glad I packed them for vacation because they were perfect for beach days and our adventure days, especially when cave tubing in Belize!
- Mini Fan : We’re a family that always sleeps with the fan on. Even though I have a noise app on my phone, a fan is a must. Especially because it helps move the air around in the cabin. I repeat: this is a must-have!
- Extension Cord : With phone chargers, portable chargers, a fan, and a laptop, we needed more outlets! I’m really glad we packed a 2-prong extension cord. We never had to worry about having enough outlets or if something would have enough time to charge.
- Rolling Luggage + Small Bag : You have a gap between boarding and when your luggage will be delivered to your room. I was glad we had a small bag with essentials in it to tide us over. I was also really thankful for our rolling luggage at the airport and during arrival at the port. You’ll want to make sure you have luggage taps on all your bags just in case.
- Tumbler : I drank allllllll the water during our trip. All the adventuring and sun left me thirsty. I was glad to have my own big mug to keep my drinks cool in, no matter where we were.
- Luggage Laundry Bags : I won’t lie… after all the fun, our laundry was a bit smelly. I am so glad I had laundry bags on hand to keep everything separate!
- Dramamine or Sea Bands : I deal with motion sickness, so I made sure to have Dramamine in my bag. If you deal with motion sickness, don’t let it deter you from a wonderful vacation!
What Clothes to Pack for a Caribbean Cruise
- Formal attire : Yes. You read that right. Little did we know that formal night is a big deal on the ship. Make sure to pack formal wear you love to enjoy the festivities in! Guys wear tuxes or suits and ladies wear evening gowns or dresses. I wore a black lightweight dress and fancy sandals. We were actually dressed down compared to many couples who went all out.
- Mix of shoes : We had tennis shoes, water shoes, flip flops, and sandals. We wore ALL of them, which I really didn’t think we would when packing. With so many different activities to enjoy, I’m glad we had them all on hand. Water shoes were actually required for some of our activities, so it was great we had them with us.
- Pants + Shorts : We each packed a pair of jeans and athletic pants, as well as jean shorts and athletic shorts. It ended up being the ideal mix as we wore long pants a couple of days when we felt chilly and then lived in the shorts the other days during our adventures.
- Bathing Suits : You’ll definitely want to pack multiple suits. During our adventure days, I wore a bathing suit all day under a tee and shorts. I was glad I had several suits on hand so that I could always have a dry option on hand.
- Socks + Undies : Even though there are laundry facilities on board, I was glad I had gone ahead and packed extra of the essentials. Between hot, busy days, we went through a lot of clothes. It was so nice to have a cool shower and fresh clothes at the end of each adventure!
- Sunglasses : I wore my sunnies constantly during our trip!
- Small Purse : I had a little Vera Bradley bag that fit my lipstick, phone, and OceanMedallion™ when we were running around the ship.
Check Out These Delicious Recipes
Now that you know what should be in your bag, stay tuned to continue all the adventures with us. I’m so excited to relive the best moments for you to enjoy with us!