I’ve found it’s best to keep Sam’s attention with simple recipes so he doesn’t lose interest half way through. This easy S’mores in the Oven recipe was a huge success, even using plain marshmallows. Sam thought it was so awesome that he wants to do it again. We agreed we will try mint chocolate next time.
- I also love these chocolate pecan turtles that are both fun to make and eat!
- Plus, enjoy these Reese’s no bake mini cheesecakes — they are divine!
If you’ve followed my blog at all, you know about my little four-year-old man, Sam. Becoming Sam’s mom changed the world for me! Even Spaceships and Laser Beams was birthed because Sam was. I’m much more intentional in my decisions about life now–…even the seemingly mundane, everyday choices are looked at through the lens of being his mom. I’ve always heard older moms say to enjoy these growing up years because they’ll be gone before you know it; I can hardly believe Sam will already be five this summer so it makes me think maybe what I’ve heard is right.
One of the things I regularly do is make time for Sam and I to work together in the kitchen. I’ve also found that working on recipes is a natural way to teach Sam life skills in a fun way. There’s goal setting (what are we going to make today?); listening (to my instructions); cooperation; thinking/working in organized steps; and the built-in reward of tasting when we’re finished! I’m also thinking that the fun bantering we enjoy now will make it easier to keep having conversations as he gets older. Ugh. I can hardly bear to think of that already!
This is what we did:
1. Preheat oven to 450*
2. Place graham crackers on an ungreased baking sheet (we used 4 whole crackers, but broke them in ½).
3. With the end side up, put a large marshmallow on each cracker
4. Bake for about 5 minutes (watch so it doesnt burn)
5. Remove from the oven
6. Put ½ of a chocolate bar and another ½ graham cracker on top
7. Leave it for about two minutes
8. Smoosh em together, keep talking and enjoy the everyday!
How does your family like making s’mores? Have you ever made them in the oven?